How long does it take to boot up & shut down your machine with a SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by comics addict, Jun 24, 2013.

?

Is it normal?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. comics addict macrumors 6502a

Less than a month ago I got myself my very first SSD. I choose to purchase a OWC Mercury Electra 6g 240 GB drive due to me having great customer support experience on previous purchases.I migrated all my data from a TM backup to the new drive and have managed to get a under 10 second boot up for this machine and around 20 seconds to shut down completely. Are these numbers as expected for a SSD equip MBP running OS X 10.8.4?

2. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

Yes these are expected boot and shutdown times. Mavericks should fix some of this delay but yes you are right in the normal range.

3. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Sounds normal, experiencing about the same times. The slow shut-down issue has been well documented in various forums. There was some hope that 10.8.4 release would fix it, but no bones.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Yes that makes me remember that once OSX was quick at shutting down. When I got it and it still had an HDD and SL with shut down of only a couple seconds.
    Never been since. Long I thought it was only because of updates and the infrequent shut downs I ever did. But when I think about it I never got fast shut downs and I do quick often reboot when there have been no updates.

No Idea what it is but it is normal.

5. chipboard macrumors newbie

chipboard

ssd

Sandisk extreme 480gb, startup 14 secs shutdown 4 secs, oct 2012 macbook pro, been using this drive since january.

6. rg1980 macrumors newbie

15 inch Base Retina

Startup: 12-13 seconds
    Shutdown: 2-3

7. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh thank goodness. I was worried there for a second because it just stroke me as not as fast as I expected.

This is interesting.

But isn't this the MBP that comes by default with SSDs?

8. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Correct.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My computer takes about 30 seconds to shut down, but only about 15 seconds to start up. My drives are encrypted.

10. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

That might be the reason why it behaves slower. Do you use FileVault ?