How long does it take to charge your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xyl, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Xyl macrumors regular

Just wondering:

a) how long it takes for all of you to charge your iPhone from no battery to full battery.

b) do you have good or bad battery life: I'm going to define "good" here as more than 6 hours of usage and more than 15 hours of standby time. Or something equivalent to that.

2. calvy macrumors 65816

I charge when I sleep every night, 7 to 9 hours a night. And my new 3g has been getting on the low side by the time the day is over, which my 2g really didn't do. No gripe from me though.

3. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

4. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

A) About two-three hours.

B) Define "usage" ... ? If you mean internet usage (either by 3G or wifi) then my battery life is horrible. If you mean listening to music, it's great. It really depends on how you will use the device, not only how much.

5. Xyl thread starter macrumors regular

That's true, I guess it might be better to just post what you use it for on an average day and how long for each activity.

6. apockalipse macrumors member

I'm not sure about the first part of the question. So far, I have not had it run out on me during the day and have intentionally run it out at night to condition the battery a little. I charge it before I go to bed and am not sure how long its taking to get full.

So far the battery has seemed decent for me. I can say the screen brightness makes a huge difference. Also some of the graphic intensive games seem to drain it very quickly. I haven't used it alot for making calls during the day since every day has been a work day and I have a phone in my office and a work blackberry. I don't have the confidence to give up the bb completely and go over to an iphone yet (plus I'm not sure I want all my personal and business calls, emails, contacts and calendars combined... i like a little separation). Its been connected to wifi all day both at work and home. So today for example, maybe 15 min worth of calls, an hour of browsing/games combined, and ran music on the ipod most of the day (a little over 8 hrs.). I'm also manually retrieving gmail occasionally and not using any type of push/exchange server. When I got home there was only the tiniest sliver of battery drained. Since I've been home, I've been randomly web surfing on wifi and playing games for maybe 2 hrs total all night. Right now the battery is down to a little over 1/3 or so. I have almost 16 hrs of standby for the day and about 10 hrs of usage.

So it really depends on your type of usage thru out the day. Ipod music counts towards usage but doesn't drain the battery. A few hours of web on wifi don't seem to hit it hard either. Games, Movies, GPS and bright screen seem to get it pretty good. I haven't tried it yet, but I bet you could kill a full charge in about 5 hrs, if that, playing games or watching movies.

This weekend will be the true test since I will be making many more calls and I will be out and about and not necessarily in wifi most of the time.

7. rolex54 macrumors 6502

I would say about 2-3 hours for a full charge
    and it gets me through the day with about 25% remaining
    reviews have shown that it gets around 6:30 minutes of just general use (internet, mail, music)

8. Naked Snake macrumors member

It takes about 2 hours to charge. Right now I got about 1 day and 18 hours on standby and about 7 hours of usage and my battery just got the 20% warning. I think that's pretty good.

9. cantankerously macrumors regular

2 hours to charge. With 3g off and only using it for a few calls, fetching emails, and about 2 hours of iPod use the battery gave me 7 hours usage and a day standby. With constant heavy 3G usage and gaming I think I got a little over 4 hours. Not bad at all. Although I still need to do some more testing.

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

If it's in the red, it can take at least 2-2.5 hours, if it's halfway, about 60-90 minutes.

Not sure my usage times, I rarely pay attention to them anymore.