How long does it take to charge your MBA from empty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by queshy, Feb 24, 2008.

?

How long does it take for your MBA battery to charge from empty?

  1. less than 5 hours

    31 vote(s)
    64.6%
  2. more than 5 hours

    17 vote(s)
    35.4%
  1. queshy macrumors 68040

    queshy

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2005
    #1
    I think there are too possibilities here - a reasonable amount of time (<5 hrs) and a long amount of time (>5 hrs). I personally think reasonable would mean 4, but obviously if someone's battery charges in 4.5 hours it's still pretty "reasonable" also, so we'll make the boundary 5 for simplicity.

    I noticed also that my MBA seems to charge rather quickly when turned on whereas when it's off it takes 8 hours. So I guess you should choose the time based on how you prefer to charge the battery (for me it is when the computer is off, overnight).
     
  2. spyz88 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2008
    #2
    Thats interesting. Do you keep the computer sleeping when you charge it or is it on, on?
     
  3. fk51785 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2008
    Location:
    South Florida
  4. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

    NC MacGuy

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2005
    Location:
    The good side of the grass.
    #4
    Mine takes about 2 hours to go from 0-80% then another two to go from 80-100%
     
  5. dahcheet macrumors regular

    dahcheet

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2008
    Location:
    Harrisburg, PA
    #5
    That sounds about right for me too, but it's closer to 70% when it goes into trickle.
     
  6. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

    queshy

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2005
    #6
    Computer on + charging = <5 hrs

    Computer off (not sleeping) + charging = >5 hrs

    Based no these results, a good percentage of people who voted so far have battery problems. I'm on my 11th cycle and still can't get the charge time down when off.
     
  7. BWhaler macrumors 68020

    BWhaler

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2003
    #7
    Seems like it is somewhere in the 6 - 9 hour range.

    Things are better now that the battery has had a few cycles, but it still stinks.

    Anyone remember when Apple used to be about quality work craft?
     
  8. jameskohn macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2006
    Location:
    Connecticut
    #8
    Same here; a little disappointing.
     
  9. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

    teerexx52

    Joined:
    May 1, 2005
    Location:
    Florida West Coast
    #9
    Yeah, me too
     
  10. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

    queshy

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2005
    #10
    Disappointing? Mine takes all day to charge haha. This thing is going back if I can't fix it...
     
  11. Sesshi macrumors G3

    Sesshi

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2006
    Location:
    One Nation Under Gordon
    #11
    Huh. So it wasn't just me scratching my head. It is a source of irritation - especially as you can only put it into juice-sucking sleep instead of hibernate, then realise it's down on power so you want it recharged quickly before you leave - already.

    Interesting, the discrepancy between power off and on charging - I had noticed a discrepancy but hadn't tied it down to a specific situation yet. I'll have to try it out.
     
  12. Malcster macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2005
    Location:
    Bristol, UK
    #13
    Same here, 2 hours to get to 80% then about 1.5 to trickle it to full.

    (first charge out of the box was 7 hours)
     
  13. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2007
    Location:
    Hawaii!
    #14
    Mine is about 4 hours from the deep sleep mode
     
  14. MRU macrumors demi-god

    MRU

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2005
    Location:
    Other
    #15
    From about 4 - 5.5 hours

    Seems to charge to 65% in 2 hours and then remaining 35% takes anywhere between 2-3.5 more hours.
     

Share This Page