How long does it take to confirm (ebay) AppleCare registration?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Richard1028, May 31, 2009.

1. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I bought AppleCare for my macbook from ebay (in an original and sealed box). I entered my code on Thursday and my status is still "in progress".

Isn't this crap automated by Apple? What is the processing computer waiting for?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Call AppleCare to confirm that your registration did go through. Once they pull your serial number of your MacBook, it should show the AppleCare being registered, if not there might be something wrong with the AppleCare you purchased.

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

It took about a week for mine to show up on line. Got a letter in the mail two weeks after reg. with hard copy confirmation.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Mine was almost instant when I registered with a CA address. With a NC address it took a day or two and two weeks to get the hard copy registration in the mail. What state are you in?

5. Richard1028 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks. I guess I'll wait.

I'm not worried about the ebay purchase as the box that came was sealed and everything was intact.

I was worried about the price I paid though ($75 :D). He wanted $135 for it and just for grins I made an offer with 10 minutes left on his auction. Suprisingly, it was accepted and I thought, "crap".

I've also read the ebay horror stories here about getting officially registered by Apple only to have them retract the agreement 2 months later.

The Applecare agreement says I have to produce a purchase receipt should there be any dispute later on. Would having the original box along with the "code card" that was inside be proof enough? I don't know how they feel about buying from non-apple authorized resellers and Paypal receipts.

6. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

I had confirmation instantly on mine. Received the email in about 5 minutes.

7. Richard1028 thread starter macrumors 68000

Great. :( They're probably stalling me until "Vinnie" can get to my house and pound my kneecaps with his ball peen hammer.

My code probably crashed their servers. :D

8. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

So how would that work if the registration takes a little long? Would they cover damages done in that timeframe? I mean outside the receipt they could be like "well you're not registered"...

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If you go to https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do and enter your Serial Number it will tell you your warranty status. If you have entered your applecare but haven't received confirmation yet it will usually tell you here that they have received applecare for this product and are processing it.

10. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

2 days here… usually if it takes longer than a week then you should start worrying about something…

11. Richard1028 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, I thought of that. I guess if you wait until day 364 to extend your coverage this might be cause for worry. But I suspect Apple would honor your warranty on the day you registered regardless of whether it's "pending". After all, it ain't our fault they're still using an Apple ][+ to process this crap. :D

But I've still got 6 months left on my initial year.

12. Richard1028 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, I know. That's why I know it's still pending and hence this post. :)

13. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Ah, sorry, misread your original post. If it says pending in their system I wouldn't worry too much. If their system had no record of it then I'd be worried. Mine took about 3 days if I recall.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Have you read any threads lately regarding "in process" registration of AppleCare purchased via eBay? Guessing not really.

Why does it matter? Because "in process" longer than a week or less often means "not valid".

15. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Why don't you just call AppleCare and tell them to enroll it for you? With them, it's instant but if their computer hangs (and it does happen, the enrollment number won't go through) then there is something wrong. But it's common that online enrollment doesn't go through right away but calling AppleCare to enroll takes no longer than 5 minutes.

16. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Yeah you definitely saw my point. Good for you you still got 6 months =D

17. Richard1028 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hey, you're right. I just got off the phone with them.

I gave the tech dude my mac serial number and his records showed my AppleCare registration had indeed gone through and that I was covered for another 2 years.

Great! I then asked why the website still says my registration was still, "In Progress". He didn't know but assured me I was covered.

So I then asked him to send my certificate/proof. He was kind of taken aback by this and just assured me that I was covered because his system said so. I explained that I am supposed to get a certificate or email confirming this. He put me on hold for a few minutes and came back saying I would get my certificate in a couple of weeks. Ok, I'll wait.

While I had this guy, I asked why it took so long to register AppleCare. He said that somebody at Apple needs to contact the AppleCare seller first. (which I find hard to believe). I asked what good that would do because I bought mine from another person, not a store. He didn't have an answer and just assured me that my AppleCare code would only work for my mac. (uh... no kidding).

So... the bottom line is I won't believe I'm covered until I have it in writing. And I'm just wondering if Apple doesn't scrutinize folks like me more closely because I bought Applecare through a third party. (As opposed to buying it directly from them).

18. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

The reason why the agent said what he said was that if they don't enroll it for you and you enrolled it yourself, they as agent can't send you proof of enrollment. Once the website clears you (which it should in a few days), you will either get an e-mail or have the certificate mailed to your address. Hard to believe but there is no reason for the agent to lie to you about your enrollment, just sit back and wait for it.

19. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

So did I. It's likely the OP was scammed.

20. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Enrollment varies. Generally it does go through right away but there is that odd chance that it doesn't. Had many customers call in saying that the enrollment didn't go complete successfully so they called in and when I pulled up their serial number, APP was enrolled.

Then there's that rare occasion where they call in and when I try to enroll it, it had already been enrolled to a different computer.

21. Richard1028 thread starter macrumors 68000

Not Scammed. My registration confirmation finally showed up on Apple's site. (Through Dec 2011). Plus my certificate of proof was emailed.

But this little tidbit in the certificate puzzles me:

Keep this certificate and the original sales receipts for your Apple product(s) and the AppleCare Protection Plan. Proof of purchase may be required if there is any question as to the product's eligibility for AppleCare Protection Plan coverage.

Why don't they require proof of purchase before issuing a coverage certificate? Seems ass-backwards to me. I feel sorry for you poor bastards that got your Apple product as gift without a receipt. :D

22. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I wouldn't worry about that, matter of fact, I don't even know why it says that. Once you enroll it, it's there. The only thing I could think of is if your current computer goes to s--- and is replaced by a new computer and AppleCare was not transferred over correctly, you might need proof but even with that, there should be proof somewhere on the computer.

23. Richard1028 thread starter macrumors 68000

After thinking abut it, I'm guessing this is the reason if you care to follow along:

1.) Joe Schmuck, a Best Buy employee removes an Applecare box from the rack at the store he works.

2.) He opens the box, writes down the registration code then reseals the box with the store's shrink wrap gizmo. He returns the box to the rack.

3.) Joe then sells you this code in a back alley for a 'too good to be true" price and you register your apple product. The registration goes through without a hitch and you're covered. You even get a pretty certificate.

4.) A couple of month's later, I walk into Best Buy and purchase the same applecare box that Joe had stolen the code from and sold to you.

5.) I register my macbook with the same code. WTF? It doesn't work and Apple's database shows it's already been used.

6.) I show my Best Buy receipt and original box with the little card inside showing the code. That clears things up and I'm covered.

7.) Since you can't provide a receipt or the applecare box like I did you're screwed and you get an email from Apple stating your coverage is revoked.

8.) You try to find Joe who sold you the code to get your money back only to find he's long gone.

The above is a simplistic example but illustrates why people shouldn't buy Applecare codes without the box IMO. Who really knows where they come from?

24. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

#7 would have been nice, but Apple just left me hanging with NO notice at all. My plan was cancelled and I was never notified at all. Thanks a lot Apple. :mad:

25. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I just ran a separately purchased registration for AppleCare (e.g., not auto-enroll) last week for a MBP. It took about 1 minute. After reg, I went to the warranty.do and it showed up there with the proper coverage time frame.