How long does it take to erase 1TB drive?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by briloop, Oct 23, 2018.

1. briloop macrumors newbie

Because of an issue, I decided to format (erase/delete) the HD (1TB Fusion drive) on my 2017 iMac, and re-install Mac OS. Following the instructions from Apple support, and going thru Disk Utility, I started the deleting of the volume called "Macintosh HD" about 8 hours ago (approx. 20181023_144031.jpg 6:30 am MDT, Oct. 23, 2018). As of this writing, the computer still shows "Deleting Volume" is still in progress.

How long does it take to erase 1TB drive? Should I abort this attempt and start over, or give it more time?

2. nambuccaheadsau, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018

nambuccaheadsau macrumors 68000

nambuccaheadsau

Not that long. You did not describe the problem, maybe it is the drive?

Cancel and if able to boot into Recovery > Disk Utility > Repair Disk and see what is reported.

3. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

It should take a few seconds. Normal formatting doesn't really erase the drive, it just resets the file system. If you used the security options to actually write random data to the drive, then it would take much longer.

--Eric

4. briloop thread starter macrumors newbie

I chatted with Apple Support and got the help I needed. According to AS, it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to erase a 1TB drive. So, I aborted the process that had been going on for several hours, and started over again. I was successful!