how long does it take to JB iPad 4.2?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by musigny, Dec 3, 2010.

1. musigny macrumors newbie

redsnow has been stuck on the "please wait while your device is being processed" screen for a long time. the status bars are all the way across to the right, but "finish" hasn't come up yet. i cancelled out once, restarted, backed up on itunes and am trying again.

but just wanted to see if anyone had some guidance. doing this on win 7 machine.

thanks in advance.

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yeah something is not right, it just take a few seconds (<1min). Make sure the iPad is OFF, that you are pointing to the right 4.2.1 IPSW, and them put the ipad in DFU following the screen options, don't release Sleep bottom until the count down is over.

3. musigny thread starter macrumors newbie

ugh...had a feeling...

will try again.

thanks.

4. musigny thread starter macrumors newbie

i do get a pop-up from windows saying that the USB device isn't working properly. i hear the USB plugin sound and then the un-plug sound. not sure if that matters or not

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

LOL that's Funny... Well considering that the iPad communicate with the Computer using the USB... i can just guess that it does matter, I find it funny that you omit such a important error on your OP. No way to make an intelligent guess for what is wrong with your USB (It could be many things), make sure you got the most current Drivers, Itunes and your Computer is up to date. (try a Different USB if you have't yet, or a different machine if you have one).

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If using Vista or Win7, make sure to run in XP compatibility mode as Admin.

7. musigny thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks - forgot about that. trying that now as service pack 2 and admin.

8. musigny thread starter macrumors newbie

update.

it worked!

switched to a different USB hub on the laptop and changed to xp.

thanks guys, you rock!!

9. musigny thread starter macrumors newbie

bought displayout over cydia and hit "reboot" and now it's frozen.

any suggestions?

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It's a tethered jailbreak, you need to rerun redsn0w and check "reboot tethered."

11. musigny thread starter macrumors newbie

12. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

13. musigny thread starter macrumors newbie

when you find the right combo of USB port, etc., it will work very quickly -- like 20 seconds.

14. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

20 seconds?, Really, not in a million years, maybe to jailbreak after getting it right but the time before that counts, so lets not mislead anyone here!

Lets be honest here for those not in the know and thinking of casually doing this

it takes a lot of time and patience and especially research to understand the process before one even get to the jailbreaking point, and if successful then the first time around, one then has to to reload, all ones programs, music, files, movies, so like I said, it takes a long time!

15. musigny thread starter macrumors newbie

not that bad. as evidenced upthread, i'm a troglodyte on the subject and i figured it out in about 1 hour all in.

and the above bolded quote is plainly false.

16. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

plainly false, please do explain how you can do this, when you have to install a brand new OS over a jailbroken ipad, which, as we all know, removes everything from the unit, then re JB, which at this point had not a thing on it, then one begins the process of reinstalling everything you formally had on it.

If you have another way of doing this, perhaps some secret troglodyte short cut, please do share it with the community!

17. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I think you guys are mixing up "restores" with "Upgrades".

PS: The word "troglodyte" made me LOL ...not sure why! :D

[​IMG]

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think you may be thinking of the JB with pwnage tool, which requires a restore. Redsn0w doesn't require a restore, you can just update, then JB, and all your stuff stays right where they are.

19. musigny thread starter macrumors newbie

correct.

20. atomicbatteries macrumors 6502

Let me get this straight. Start with a Jailbroken ipad, with last o/s available what 3.2. and when you go to jailbreak to 4.2 you don't have to restore through an apple update first and then do the redsnow jailbreak?

I was under the impression when one did the apple update with an already Jailbroken device the apple update cleared out the data and you essentially started from scratch with the new o/s in this case 4.2, and then proceed to the new jailbreak and then reload all your stuff.

If that is not the case, then boy did I waste a lot of time and the directions were not that clear to me!

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Some firmware upgrades, like the one from 1.x to 2.0, required a restore. But 3.x to 4.2 could be done with just an update. When you update the firmware on a jailbroken device, the jailbreak comes undone and you lose all your JB apps and mods, but the "official" apps, settings, and any media you have on your device stay in place. You can then run redsn0w to rejailbreak, again without disturbing the stuff that's already on the device.

Many people feel that it's better to restore and start fresh, to avoid any possibility that stuff left over from older firmware might make the new firmware unstable. But doing so is optional. If you wanted to save time, you could have just updated and rejailbreoken.