How Long Does It Take To Reset Computer For Buyer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fazzl, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

I have a buyer for my MBP but he wants to see it working before I reset it, which means ill have to format and reinstall Snow Leopard while he is here. How long does this usually take because I know its going to be awkward. Thanks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You should perform at least 0-pass erase so it will take awhile. I would "reset" it before he comes and then just create a test user so you can show him that it works. He can then reinstall the OS X again if he wants to see the Welcome video and stuff.

3. simsaladimbamba

From DVD it should take around 30 minutes, from an external USB thumbdrive it should take 20 minutes, but the installation will not wipe your personal data. Make sure you used Disk Utility and the ERASE FREE SPACE option after you deleted your personal data (maybe setup a dummy account for the preview and delete your account, the ERASE FREE SPACE).

Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
    Guide on how to use Disk Utility from the restore / installation DVD.
    Format Your Hard Drive Using Disk Utility
    Partition Your Hard Drive With Disk Utility
    DiskWiping – One Pass is Enough

4. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

pretty much what he says

5. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

Is there any way to just perform the 0-ass erase on just my account?

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

+1 go ahead and clean install now and set it up with some generic account name like "main" ... this way when he gets there, he has a fresh machine he can play around with.

Absolutely do the 0 pass erase, too.

If you tried to do this in his presence, you'll be sitting around for 1-3 hours.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Not that I know. I would 0-pass the whole drive though, you don't want someone to access any of your files, even though that is unlikely.

8. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

ok can you guys guide me through or link to me info on how to do this 0 pass?

9. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Google or MRoogle, it is very easy.

10. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

sorry but I tied searching but im not finding anything

11. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

What if I just delete my User Account and make a new one for the Buyer?

12. b0blndsy macrumors 6502

13. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Comprehensive steps here: http://macs.about.com/od/snowleopardmacosx106/qt/cleaninstall_sl.htm

What you are specifically looking for is the Erase a Volume link (note that there are about five pages of steps with detailed screenshots, etc. for each task).

Take the time to read the whole thing all the way through first, it'll give you a good overview of what you are trying to accomplish.

Good luck.

14. simsaladimbamba

In case you haven't seen this post, I quote it again.

And this are the search results to guides for applying the ONE PASS ERASE in Mac OS X: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ma...&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=851dac784f652e5f

15. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok thanks guys. I just did an erase with zero pass.

One thing though. I selected the actual hdd (says 500gb hdd) instead on the volume called Macintosh hd. I hope this is ok and I didn't mess anything up. Thanks.

16. John.B, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Glad it worked out for you.

By default, your drive would have been named "Macintosh HD" but you can change it to anything you like.

FWIW, I give mine obvious names like "Mac mini HD", "MacBookPro SSD", "Media HD", etc. so it's apparent what I'm looking at when I'm running SuperDuper! or booting from target disk mode. (I also name my backup drives "Backup 1 HD" or "Backup 2 HD" for the same reason.)

You also can choose whether the drives show up on your desktop or under "Devices" in Finder from Finder -> Preferences...

17. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

I was interested to see everyone suggesting zero out drive. Before I sell I always do at least a 7-pass. I am wondering now if this is overkill or was everyone suggesting zero out because the OP was concerned with the time frame.

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://www.anti-forensics.com/disk-wiping-one-pass-is-enough

Unless you are housing government secrets in your HD, 0-pass should be enough.