How long does it take to sleep?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Prelude2elude, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Prelude2elude macrumors member

Prelude2elude

How long does it take for your MBP to sleep, by just clicking the sleep button underneath the apple logo? Without any programs running or just shutting the lid.

All of a sudden when i click the sleep button, it takes 3 clicks for the computer to actually sleep or if i click it it takes 6-7 seconds to sleep. it never used to do this.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

One or two seconds with up to 25 applications running. You can use SmartSleep or Terminal to change the "sleep modes", as one sleep mode writes the contents of the RAM to your internal HDD.

3. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

The sleep mode you've described occurs when your MacBook runs out of battery life. Beyond that is a reserve so it can sleep until you charge it. If that goes out, then an image of how you left your computer will be saved to your Hard Drive, and will be opened when you are running on AC power again.

To answer the OP's question, it takes a second or two before it sleeps. I never really use the sleep command though - the only time my computer sleeps is when I close the lid. Other than that, I have it set up so my display will turn off when I put my pointer in the right hand corner of my screen.

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Safe sleep - saves the contents of your RAM onto the hard drive so that if the power goes out/battery comes out, everything will be restored when the power is restored. Takes about 10-20 seconds depending on your RAM amount used.

No safe sleep - virtually instant, maybe a few seconds.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

When I bought my first MacBook, it took 30 seconds to fall asleep, with a full battery. Even the people at the store I bought it from didn't know what it was, but someone here had an answer I guess (8/2008). The answer was the following:

Current Intel Apple notebooks save the contents of the RAM to the HDD in case the battery runs out and it can't recover from the RAM. It still goes to sleep and when the notebook is awakened, it does not use the HDD to copy the contents back, it just uses the RAM to read what is in the RAM.

Maybe it was a Terminal smeg-up, I don't know, but SmartSleep helped me set the sleep mode correctly.

6. Prelude2elude thread starter macrumors member

Prelude2elude

Now if I close the lid the computer will go to sleep but when i open it, it will come on and a couple of seconds later it will sleep while im using it.

the only thing i recently did was secure empty trash, could this in some odd way affect this?

I just dont know if i should bring it in to have it looked at.

7. RWil85 macrumors 6502

go into System Preferences/Print & Fax/Open Print Queue...

and check to see if you have any files pending printing..

I had the same problem a week ago..and it ended up I had two files pending printing which was causing my macbook pro 13" to not sleep for a good 30 seconds when selecting 'Sleep' under the Apple Menu; although, it would sleep if i closed the lid..

let me know if that helps..

8. Prelude2elude thread starter macrumors member

Prelude2elude

Holy cow !! dude it worked, I had a document in queue because i ran out of ink and it never printed.

I timed the sleep and it did take 30 seconds to sleep, now its fine and back to normal. Thanks alot. :D

9. RWil85 macrumors 6502

awesome...it freaked me out too - b/c my gf got an MBP around the same time I did and hers was working fine..i was like wtf! haha..glad it helped...

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you want, you can still get a fall-to-sleep time of one or two seconds via the links I provided in my first post.

11. Prelude2elude thread starter macrumors member

Prelude2elude

i'll definitely look into those as well, thanks.