How long does it take to unlock AT&T iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Gemütlichkeit, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

This morning I called up to unlock my phone since I'm out of contract. The rep went through the steps and said it's ready to go.

All the tutorials from back in April say it can take up to 5-7 business days. And that you receive and email.

I backed up my iPhone but haven't restored it yet. I clicked on restore and it started downloading 5.1.1 again which is 700mb.

Before I go any further, should I wait for the unlock email?

I just wasn't sure if they've sped up the return time on unlocking. Let's say I head home, restore the iPhone after redownloading 5.1.1, will it tell me it's unlocked during this process?

Any clarification from people who've recently unlocked their phone from AT&T would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, you should wait for the e-mail. It usually comes in 1-2 business days.

3. Gemütlichkeit thread starter macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

I chatted with an AT&T rep and they said it's ready to go and that the emails don't go out anymore because they don't have to create a work order. They can just unlock it over the phone (which I did). Next step is for me to backup then restore my phone.

I just have to redownload the 700+ mb 5.1.1 update :-/

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Or deactive it with redsnow and plug it to itunes to activate again.

5. M.a.r.k. macrumors member

I seem to be out of luck here, and I don't really see the problem.
    I called about 3 weeks ago to have it unlocked, after a couple of calls I had a nice rep that created a case.
    He said the unlock process should be done Aug 7th the latest.
    Called on 7th and they said it was Aug 8th.
    Still nothing.
    Called on 9th and they said they don't know what the problem is, they have no idea. I have to wait, no new date, nothing.

Why is it so difficult to transfer the IMEI to Apple and let them take care of everything else?

6. twrunner macrumors newbie

try this

http://www.iphone-officialunlock.com/

7. 2macarena macrumors newbie

2macarena

Right now At&t takes about 5 days but often less to get you unlock code. I recently unlock iPhone 5S in just 24 hours using http://Attunlocker.us