How long does it take usually for battery to drop to 90% while surfing?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ajohnson253, Mar 15, 2010.

1. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Had a quick question, just been surfing the web on 3G network this morning for about 20minutes or so maybe 25 minutes. It's down to 90% now. Is that about normal to you guys?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yes, that's pretty close to normal. Best you can get is 5 hours before you're around 10-20%. Also, it varies as the charge goes down.

3. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Ok I just wasn't too sure since I've just deleted Cydia and winterboard off my phone. I've been seeing a difference in speed. Just haven't known what the average battery span was from a full charge, thanks for answer.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

There are a lot of variables, too.

Are you loading 1 text page every 5 minutes and then just reading it slowly? Or are you loading new image-heavy pages every 30 seconds?

And are you near a tower with 5 bars of 3G and a fast connection? Or are you waiting for a slow, 2-bar connection to download stuff? Not only does it take longer, I've found the phone has to work harder to maintain the connection.

So the short answer is: "that's normal." But the long answer is: "if you'd been at 85% or 95% I'd call both of those normal too."

5. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I am usually between 4-5 bars so the 3G connection itself is good. I load full new pages every 30-40 seconds like you said. I'm the kind of person who is always just skimming through websites and what not. Also I have a Twitter application which I'm always refreshing most of the time too.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That's why I said it varies as the charge goes down. You really can't tell for sure until you get around 50% if your battery is behaving "normally." Also, it's affected by the other things you mentioned.

7. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Using Apple's battery life figures the battery will decrease by about:
    • 20% per hour of 3G browsing/talking
    • 12% per hour of WiFi browsing
    • 3-4% per hour of listening to the iPod
    • 1% every 3 hours of standby

8. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Well that depends what kind of usage you are having while surfing. Texting, talking on the phone, listening to music, etc. Of course this is all highly dangerous which is exactly why I always leave my iPhone on the beach. :D;)