Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
do you use the imac a lot ?

do you think it is better to have usb keyboard and mouse ?

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
sorry i am the first ,and i am a old fashioned grumpy old man and as such i still prefer wires everywhere , so for me there is no question but a answer :USB just because i'm to lazy to stockpile batteries to keep the keyboard working

but at least for the magic mouse you get a inductive charger
http://geekbeat.tv/magiccharger/
if you get the magic mouse get that charger , if you dont want to search for batteries in the middle of work all the time as some of these magic mice eat batteries for lunch some even in a less then two weekly interval , dont know what apple was thinking when they did build a device like a mouse that needs battery changes so often , a bit counterproductive in apples going green department

just in comparison my microsoft arc mouse (old model with scrollwheel) from microsoft needs only a battery change every 4-6 month , my mouse is in constant use nearly 24/7 with only small rests and last time i changed the batteries was i think mid /end of october , so i guess in about the first week march the little window will come up to warn me about low battery and gives me roughly 2 weeks to prepare myself to get some charged ones

i mean 3 month should be a absolute minimum for batteries to last in such devices , better would still be if you could have the option of making them usb , which should not be all that tricky for apple to manage , i mean usb cables are ready available just would need a plug on the device , so you could enjoy both worlds wireless if you sit on the other end of your room , or to show of your mates a cable free desk , but if you need to work plug in the cable and keep on working undisturbed by a low battery , and charging would work too that way, but again its just me who thinks economical , because batteries even rechargeable ones cost money, plus for the later you need a charger too and you need a set of charged ones ready if you want to continue working

Last edited:

rmitchell248

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2010
Liebsthal, Germany
not imac but mac pro and I am on it 8-12 hours everyday and the batteries last about 5-6 months. You get plenty of warning when your batteries are low so if you mess up that it is certainly not the technology's fault :)

Right now my Keyboard tells me on every power up of the computer that its batteries are low. It started 2 weeks ago at 20% and now has 15%. It is as simple as clicking the bluetooth icon in the menu bar to see what level your batteries are at. Right now my mouse is 44% and keyboard 15% I think I changed to these ones in October. I will run them until they are 100% dead.

I love the wireless, I wish the keyboard was the full size though. I absolutely hate wires and hope to never have a wired keyboard again.

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
Right now my mouse is 44% and keyboard 15% I think I changed to these ones in October. I will run them until they are 100% dead.

you changed them 4 months ago,right ?

is your mouse the magic mouse ?

i read somewhere that you have to change the battery every 2 weeks.

RiceKilla

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
I've had my iMac for over a month, the keyboard is still at 100% battery level, and the mouse I changed last week.

Looks like once a month for the magic mouse give or take.

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
I've had my iMac for over a month, the keyboard is still at 100% battery level, and the mouse I changed last week.

Looks like once a month for the magic mouse give or take.

really ? that's bad.

i hope apple replace the magic mouse for another mouse.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
the question how long the batteries will last depends not only on the device itself , but on the batteries too , you get some that hold more charge then others and therefor last longer and cost more , same for chargers some are more efficient then others

RiceKilla

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
really ? that's bad.

i hope apple replace the magic mouse for another mouse.

I was told by another magic mouse user that theirs lasts a month give or take.

Either way this is on the factory provided batteries, so we'll see what happens with the next battery on the mouse.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
My Magic Mouse and iMac, purchased Sept 1010, are on 24/7. They go to sleep overnight and when not in use during the day.

Wireless Keyboard still using original batteries and at 57% charge.
Apple rechargeable batteries replaced in Magic Mouse at 4-5 week intervals.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
My problem is i use rechargables and every time i put charged pair in my mouse it only give me a 56 percent charged reading.Ive tried three different chargers and batteries and its always the same.Am i doing something wrong?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I think the good high power rechargeable batteries (Ni-MH) are really meant for power hungry devices such as cameras and toys. Putting them in a slow draining device ruins them in the long run.

GoDuke1

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2011
North Carolina
My iMac was put into use the end of December 2010. I used the supplied batteries in the Keyboard and Magic mouse. Keyboard has over 70% left, and the magic mouse batteries needed replacing after 6 weeks. I power off the iMac at night.

I'm using re-chargeable batteries now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.