Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tripleh3lix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Curious. How long does it take to charge the charging case? An hour? 2 hours? It can't be long with a 398mah battery, no?

Last edited:

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
About 1 hour from empty. I was surprised it didn't charge in around 15 mins but I guess the charger or chip inside stops it from charging too quickly for the health of the batter.

Diiiiips

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
I'm interested to know how long the Airpods take to charge from 0-100 in the case. Never used mine for more than 90 mins so been unable to test this.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
Mine took 25-30 minutes from empty (the airpods themselves), the charging case goes to full in about an hour.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Mine took 25-30 minutes from empty (the airpods themselves), the charging case goes to full in about an hour.
This matches my experience. My AirPods seem to charge at about 4% per minute. Sometimes the last 2-4% takes a bit longer. Perhaps because one was lower than the other.

I actually haven't timed the case, because it's never gotten below 60% in a day. (I plug it in on my nightstand with my iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. I have a 4-slot USB adaptor, so I'm in trouble if Apple comes out with another portable gadget.)

BoozeBaron

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2017
About an hour from empty.

I think he/she was asking about the AirPod buds? I use mine daily/nightly and they last about 4-5 hours but was shocked to see that from 0%-2% dead they only took 17 minutes to fully recharge to 100%. Apple claims 15 mins to fully charge and I set my timer just outta curiosity one night thinking it'd be an hour or more since "charging/batteries" aren't exactly Apple's strong suit - but sure enough after 15 minutes the left bud was 100% and the right was 98% (they discharge unevenly too which is a real mystery for stereo??!?) I've had times were it 'pings' warning me my pods are about to die and will flip the case lid open and check my charging status (use the left swipe notification window and added the battery app in there) and that shows everything I'm charging (iPhones/charging case/buds/watch/MacBook, etc.) and sometimes like the left bud will be at say 16% and the right at 2%?? But simply throw them in the charging case and go to the bathroom and grab a drink and by the time I'm back they're all 100% charged! Definitely a pleasant surprise. Tonight is the first night (after 3 months) that I let my charging case die 100% DOA - so was curious what others had to say about recharging that, which prompted this search and is how I found this thread for I went and pulled the pods out tonight, and it gave me the 'dead' signal after charging over 2 hours - and I was like WTF!? Silly me - I'd forgotten to charge the case - doh! - so of course everything was then dead too. So I'm waiting now on the case to recharge but in the time it's taken me to write this the AirPods are already at 85% and can catch my show at the top of the hour. (Apple TV at night is the best use I've found as the A/C and fan drown out the TV so it's aswesone to have that connection). I too was skeptical about going wireless, especially with Bluetooth but this was the best $159 I've ever spent with Apple. Love my AirPods! YMMV. Peace

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
so if i only use one side most of the time, will they know that one side is not charged?
The two pods charge independently in the case, whether you charge them singly or at the same time. (If the two pods are close together in charge, your iPhone will report a single battery level for the pair. If they get far enough apart, the iPhone will split them out and show the battery level separately for left and right.)

Reactions: macnmac

macnmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2017
Apple Park
The two pods charge independently in the case, whether you charge them singly or at the same time. (If the two pods are close together in charge, your iPhone will report a single battery level for the pair. If they get far enough apart, the iPhone will split them out and show the battery level separately for left and right.)

woah... cool

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Don't want to make a new thread for this question. Let's say you have both your phone and case charged at 100%. Then you start using your phone and for example, you already wasted 1%, then the case charges it again to 100%. Then will the case stop charging the phone, so it only charges when there's wasted battery or it will non-stop charge it so even when not using the phone your battery case will drain out? Lol complicated but I think I was able to explain it, if not I can again

Nvm, Found out it's always discarding the phone so it means it will keep it a 100% no matter what until it drains out
Correct me if I'm wrong

Last edited:

Cristim74

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2016
Bucharest, Romania
I think you meant to say airpods and not phone in the message above. If so, yes, the case will always charge the buds to 100%, even if they are only at 98-99%. If you keep the buds in the case and the case has enough battery, the case will always try to keep the buds at 100%. When the buds are 100% charged the case will stop the charging process, pretty much the same as the iPhone stops charging when it's at 100%.

grafsyd18

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2018
About 1 hour from empty. I was surprised it didn't charge in around 15 mins but I guess the charger or chip inside stops it from charging too quickly for the health of the batter.
I just got mine this past Thursday. And I'm having issues charging. My airpods are fully charged. Took forever but they are. But my charging case has not charged and I plugged it in in the morning and it's still having the red light and it's getting irritating not having it charge. Its supposed to take only maybe a few hours and it's not charged at all

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I just got mine this past Thursday. And I'm having issues charging. My airpods are fully charged. Took forever but they are. But my charging case has not charged and I plugged it in in the morning and it's still having the red light and it's getting irritating not having it charge. Its supposed to take only maybe a few hours and it's not charged at all
Try a different charging brick or lightning cable

Np11203

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2019
This matches my experience. My AirPods seem to charge at about 4% per minute. Sometimes the last 2-4% takes a bit longer. Perhaps because one was lower than the other.

I actually haven't timed the case, because it's never gotten below 60% in a day. (I plug it in on my nightstand with my iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. I have a 4-slot USB adaptor, so I'm in trouble if Apple comes out with another portable gadget.)

The last 2-4% takes longer since the battery never reaches its full capacity and the charging rate starts to decrease near the end due to the density in the charge

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.