How long does the MBP last? I'm considering buying a new one

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 61132, Mar 22, 2008.

1. 61132 Guest

Well I've been doing some handbrake encoding lately, and it really is taking forever. I know it's a laptop and all, but I just don't think this MBP is cutting it anymore. It's a 2.16 Intel Core Duo with 1GB ram. The screen is beginning to dim too (this was before the LED screens came out). I also want to get the 17 inch model this time, maybe with a glossy high res screen (still on the fence on glossy, but we all know thats a old topic now, lol).

I looked at my emails when I bought it, May 06. I'll still keep this one, maybe for a small media server type setup. How long are you guys going before buying new MBP's? I was hoping to wait out until a new design comes out, but it doesn't look like thats happening anytime soon.

2. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Upgrading your ram will help slightly, but They last as long as you make them last Generally the only reason we get a new computer is because we want better upgraded software. and the hardware has been upgraded, Honestly yours isn't that old I would keep it if were you. But whatever your money.

3. 61132 thread starter Guest

Yea, I had upgraded the ram earlier, but one of the modules just went bad. I guess the major things making me want to buy a new one are the increased screen size, LED screen, and more ram that I can install, and of course increased overall speed.

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I'd say get a quad core mac pro if you can. It would suite you better for encoding. Then you would not have 2 MBP's but one of each.

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I wouldn't recommend buying another laptop if you truly need a performance boost; a desktop will give you the best performance while costing the least amount of money.

6. 61132 thread starter Guest

Hmm, that is an idea. I wouldn't even need a keyboard, mouse, or monitor (except for setup) because I have remote desktop.

I just priced out the MP with these options.
    -2.8ghz Quad Core (8 core)
    2GB ram, I can upgrade ram cheaper than Apple's ram.
    single 320gb Hard Drive
    standard video card
    two superdrives.

I think that would work out really well, it's priced at $2949, while the MBP was over 3. Options, options, hahaha. It would work as an awesome media server too :) Rip all my movies with handbrake and add hard drives as I need them, and sync that with my appletv. I wonder how quick it would be with handbrake encodes? Currently I'm at 15-20FPS and about an hour/hour and a half for a 45 minute TV show.

I never really thought about the MP as an option, I figured it was probably well out of my price range (you can option that thing up the ying yang $$$) With something this nice, I may be using the MBP only to take to work.