How long does the unlock request stay on AT&T/Apple's servers?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by jent, Jun 27, 2012.

1. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

AT&T has successfully unlocked two phones I've requested unlocks for, and I was hoping to continue requesting unlocks for some older iPhones. Some of them are with my family and I don't have immediate access to them. If AT&T approves unlock requests for them, can I back up and restore from backup in several months when I finally have access to them, or will the unlock request "expire" after a certain amount of time? Thanks!

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No, it doesn't expire. The phone will remain unlocked as long as Apple still runs the servers.

3. jent thread starter macrumors 6502a

jent

I meant the unlock request, not the phone. I have some free time and wanted to request the unlock in the next few days, but I won't have access to those older iPhones for a few months. Once AT&T processes the unlock request, the phone doesn't magically unlock; you have to connect it to iTunes, back up, and then restore from backup. Once you successfully restore from backup, iTunes will unlock the phone.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The unlock request simply flags the phone as unlocked in Apple's database (and it stays like this). This data is then used when you restore the phone, so you could request the unlock now and then restore in two years' time and the phone will become unlocked.

In summary, you'll be fine :)

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Indeed, although I don't think Apple has stated anywhere what their intentions are with maintaining the activation servers.

It may be possible that one day they will stop activating older devices, at which point, you won't be able to use them without some form of hack. They might release a tool or update to iTunes that doesn't require a server to activate those devices.

This would apply for both locked and unlocked phones.