How long does the watch work in energy savings mode?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by CmdrLaForge, Apr 25, 2015.

1. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Any idea? Did one of the reviewers try to find out?

LaForge

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

According to Apple, 72 hours.

I was quite looking forward to it, but from what i've read, it disables wrist motion to turn on the screen, and requires a full restart to get out of Energy Saving mode.

Think I'll just use airplane mode when battery is tight.

3. Zuck7787 macrumors newbie

Zuck7787

So far I'm at approx. 11 hours of moderate usage, and my battery is at 36%... Been showing all my co-workers it's functions tonight and I've been playing with it a lot as well... As long as it withstands my 12 hr shifts and a few hours at the gym it will be perfect for me

4. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

True. Just tried it.

5. SR71 macrumors 68000

Apple states that Power Reserve mode is enabled at 10% and from there can last for ~72 hours. I've verified this claim by letting my watch get to 10% battery and then checking the power reserve Usage stats in the Apple Watch app on the iPhone (Apple Watch App>General>Usage>Power Reserve) and even at 10% battery it said the watch would get >2 days of battery in power reserve mode.

Doing a bit of math would lead me to believe that if you can get 72 hours of battery at 10%, you can get 720 hours (30 days) of battery in power reserve mode from 100% battery. That's pretty damn awesome if you ask me.

6. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Absolutely correct. Btw - I did let my battery drain down today - or better it did drain down to 3% at which power reserve was activated - not at 10%.

In any case - 30 days is amazing. Because it means you can easily use the watch just a watch if required. No second watch needed.

I am thinking here mainly for travel situations in which I cannot charge my watch daily.

7. The Man macrumors 6502

Sounds awesome that you can actually use it for weeks as a plain watch. Although I hope the next version wouldn't require a lengthy restart to get out of Power Reserve.

8. SR71 macrumors 68000

Sorry, I should've been more clear. They recommend enabling it at 10% (that's when the initial "Do you want to enable Power Reserve?" popup shows up), but they don't force you to enable it.

9. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

If you force it into Reserve Mode (hold down side button, slide Power Reserve option), can you get it out of Reserve Mode without having to power-cycle it completely? I know it's 75 seconds or so, but it seems like a waste of battery power to do that.

10. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Mine shows the Apple logo and takes a while to come fully back to life.

11. Daku93 macrumors regular

My watch is currently at 4% (wich is the smallest percentage for the Apple Watch to be in the normal mode) and the App still shows >2 Days for Power Reserve. If this is true the watch can actually be used for 50+ days in Power Reserve mode.

12. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Yep that was my calculation as well. From what I read on the Apple site I would assume thats true.