How long does your battery last?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CC424, Oct 11, 2010.

1. CC424 macrumors regular

I have just had mine for 3 days and it appears that I can only get a day out it... Is that normal.

16gb wifi

2. BradenG macrumors regular

Well, I was definitely getting the advertised 10 hours on 3.2.2.

But now with the 4.2 Beta 2 on it I'm seeing a decrease in battery life which I'm guessing is going to just be a part of having multitasking...

Haven't clocked it from 100% on 4.2 yet.

3. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

Frequency of usage would help us determine "normal"

I use mine several times during the day in short intervals. I can go 5 days without charging.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

using iOS3 i can get ~9hrs quite easily using low brightness and doing quite a lot of network intensive things (streaming media, using VNC etc). its nearly 5 months old i think

intersting. at an estimate how much battery life do you think you can get? multitasking adds extra CPU cycles :(

have you noticed it is hotter?

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It'll last a day for me if I use it all day. I got a couple of cheap docks from eBay and I tend to dock it if I'm not going to use it for an hour or so.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

very good idea! could give it 50% extra charge in that hour!

7. CC424 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses... Can anyone tell me if the battery percentage drains the battery?????

8. o.neill.kid macrumors member

I can get anywhere between 9 to 12 hours normally. That is with medium brightness and 3G on 24/7 and occasionally WiFi. I use it constantly as well.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

the whuttt???? :confused:

10. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

No, the tiny little battery percentage meter in the top right corner is NOT going to make the slightest difference to your battery life :rolleyes: On the other hand, having the screen as max brightness, playing games all day, streaming etc will suck up your battery usage a bit faster.

11. 7thMac macrumors 6502

A day? 24 hours is exceptional battery life. Congratulations.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

OH! that makes MUCH more sense. thanks :D

13. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I can't wait till we can charge our devices wirelessly, and what I mean by that is from satellite. Such as how the device can get 3g internet.

There would be wireless charging. Just click a button and it will charge the phone. Which would take 2-3 hrs to get it fully charged. That way we never need to plug our phones anymore.

If you think this just sounds silly. they have signs of this happening.

Still going to be 10-20 years to probably see this.

I'm just saying that it's possible.

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it certainly is possible. it is called WiTricity. currently they can power a 60w lightbulb from about 10feet away (i think it was).

i dont see the use of batteries if this technology will become satellite based, especially since they can have solar panels up in space :D

the only problem is that the technology is current derectionally based - it has to DIRECTLY point at the device. so it cant be in a pocket, etc.

15. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

16. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

With WiFi/3G turned off and just reading and playing cards I get over 11 hours.

17. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I don't think I've ever seen 0% on either mine or my wife's iPad. We use them all day, but rack them at night for a full charge in the AM. Battery life isn't a concern in the least for us. It's tremendous! Definitely a new chapter on battery performance in a mobile device. We also have a couple of the new MBPs (13 and 17")...and neither comes close to the approximated times from Apple. The iPads are a different story...we generally do better than the marketed times!

As far as wireless charging....that's gotta be good for our bodies, eh? Radio Waves, HF, UHF, VHF, microwaves, et al....and now wireless electricity!!! Sweet:confused: I gotta figure that's a long way off...but, what do I know. Two years ago, I'd have NEVER guessed I'd be holding the future in my hands TODAY (The iPad)....Absolutely the most revolutionary device, for myself and my family since the advent of the 'net! Seriously!

J

18. hsotnicam8002 macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

I have been getting close to 10 hours varied usage, including watching movies, surfing, reading etc. If I use bluetooth (headphones) it knocks it down a little, maybe 1/2 to 1 hour. I've had the iPad since they first became available in the US (though it was opened and used only in the UK) and it is charged at least once every day to the 100%. I use it between 5-10 hours every day (sad, I know ... but very enjoyable!).