How long does your blue screen last when booting in Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by millerrh, Nov 7, 2007.

1. millerrh macrumors 6502

When you restart your computer under Leopard, the gray screen with the Apple logo appears for awhile, then a blue screen appears before the desktop finally shows up.

How long does this blue screen period last for everyone? I'm noticing a good 30 seconds of hanging in this blue screen area. Seems like Leopard takes a lot longer to start up than Tiger ever did and I'm wondering if something else might be wrong.

I should note my computer also will not fall asleep automatically, so I think something might really be wrong and perhaps this blue screen behavior is related.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

4. vega07 macrumors 65816

15-20 seconds...definitely longer than Tiger. Very sad...

5. armd.franco macrumors member

armd.franco

6. millerrh thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm thinking about trying an archive and install to see if it fixes it.

Quick question about that though: As I understand it an archive and install will retain all your applications, settings, and files. If you delete the "old system" after it's all done, will it still be OK?

7. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

I'm not sure I like the new software update process. I've updated 2x now and both times after the install completed, the blue screen appeared and nothing happened for about 30 seconds. I put my ear to my keyboard and couldn't hear the hard drive churning. Eventually the spinner appeared and the computer rebooted and all was well, but those were some tense moments.

8. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I did a search on this issue last night and found a solution which was for a MacBook Pro but it helped my iMac as well.

Shut down your computer

Unplug the power cord and remove the battery (if a notebook)

Press and hold the power button for 7+ seconds

Turn the machine on and immediately press and hold the Command+Option+P+R buttons

Wait for the SECOND gong/chime sound (that you hear before the Apple logo appears)

This should make your Mac boot significantly faster, as it did mine.

9. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I honestly have no idea, I so rarely turn the machine off. It just sleeps. I only turn it off or reboot for updates or when it's acting funny. And when I do I normally go and occupy myself doing something else.

10. millerrh thread starter macrumors 6502

Did a archive and install and everything seems exactly the same as before. Timed it and it took over 20 seconds of blue screen. And then there was even some delay between the desktop popping up and all the dock/icons loading.

And it still won't fall asleep. I wonder what the differences could be.

11. theman macrumors 6502a

my blue screen hardly lasts at all. it is the grey screen with the apple that lasts a long time, much longer than in tiger. I never see that loading window within the blue screen though.

also, it sometimes takes leopard longer to shut down. i got this message, somehting about caching? when shutting down?? no idea what that is.

12. millerrh thread starter macrumors 6502

Did an erase and install and now my blue screen hangs for about 10 seconds. Better than it was but still not as good as everyone else it seems.

I've got a 2.33 GHz MBP. Maybe it's something about my hardware since 3 complete re-installs of Leopard all act the same.

13. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

When i first got my mac pro i didn't see that screen. Then i installed a bunch of startup items so it showed for 4 seconds. Now i am not sure with leopard let me check.....:cool:

14. samuraikiss macrumors regular

After an upgrade to Leopard, my blue screen lasts for about a minute, sometimes more than that. I never remember seeing blue with Tiger. I'm going to try a clean install tonight...

15. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I don't even think I see the blue screen anymore. The gray (Apple logo) screen stays a little longer than in Tiger, then I'm at the login screen.

16. secundario macrumors newbie

in my case, the hanging of the blue screen was caused by quicksilver. i uninstalled it and things went back to normal.

17. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

no more than 2 seconds of blue screen time here.

Overall bootup time is much faster with Leopard than with Tiger. I'd be curious as to whether this varies depending on which Mac model people use, PPC or Intel, GPU or integrated, and the amount of RAM installed.

18. samuraikiss macrumors regular

So, I did a clean install of Leopard a couple of hours ago, and the blue screen still lasts for at least a minute, if not two. But why? I'm using a 2.0ghz MacBook, purchased only in February.

19. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Sounds to me like your hard drive is going. Or some other piece of hardware. (north or south bridge maybe?) But i would take it in to an apple store and have them look at it with a clean install.

20. ZaniCWB macrumors member

ZaniCWB

changing colour

Does any one know how do I change the colour of that blue screen? I would like to change it to gray. Why blue? It doesn't make sense to me.

21. phf1980 macrumors newbie

iPhone

Prezado Zani,

Boa tarde,

Tentei contato com você no Mercado Livre e não consegui...

Assim que possível entre em contato comigo através dos meios abaixo para podermos fechar negócio amanhã.

Um abraço,

Paulo Henrique