How long does your MBP battery lasts?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Juan TS, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Juan TS macrumors member

Hello guys!

I have a MBP 13' 2011 for like a month,but I've been experiencing some battery lack.

It only lasts for 4 hours with normal use! and with wireless and bluetooth off, brightness on the minimum and few apps running I only get 6 hours! It isn't normal. So my doubt is:
    How long does your MBP runs with wireless off, bluetooth off and brightness on the minimun?
    As well as in light use, normal use and heavy use.

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

3. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

in light to normal use, i am getting 7 hours of battery life easily...

4. AMLindsay macrumors newbie

I've ran my battery down to 15% in a little over two hours, surfing the internet, streaming Netflix for a half hour, and using Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 for a half hour, with brightness set at halfway. This is definitely the quickest I've drained my battery, it started at 100% right off the charger.

5. simsaladimbamba

Netflix is using Flash, thus the short battery time.

Adobe Flash Player is CPU intensive, thus more power is needed to feed the CPU, which results in higher temperatures and often higher fan speed(s) on mobile computers. As more power is used due to Flash, the battery life of mobile computers is shortened by a good bit.
    To check, if Adobe Flash Player is responsible for less battery time or the heat, go to Applications / Utilities / Activity Monitor and select to show ALL PROCESSES and sort by CPU.

There are a variety of Flash blockers for all the four major browsers available.
    A Flash blocker does what it says, it blocks Flash content, but via a click on the marked Flash object, the Flash object can be activated and used.

• Safari: ClickToFlash, for which there is an extension and a plug-in; CTF allows you to download YouTube and other kinds of MPEG-4 encoded video too.
    • Opera: has a built-in Flash blocker
    • Firefox: Flashblock is an add-on to block Flash
    • Chrome: FlashBlock is an extension to block Flash

Also make sure to have the latest Adobe Flash Player version running, you can get it here.​

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Depends on how I'm using it.

Those really don't mean anything from one person to the next. My light/normal/heavy may not be the same as yours.

7. Scarrus macrumors regular

Just writing in Pages with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth off at about half screen brightness and with the backlit keyboard on I get from 6 to 8 hours.

8. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I get 5-6 hrs with moderate usage, before Lion, I got 6-7hrs.

9. Gillespie81 macrumors regular

i would say between 4-7hrs heavy to light..im really happy with it. my old gateway was lucky to get 2 on a full charge with medium use.
    or on really light use 2 days before i charge it again with an hr or two here and there. I'm at 68% and haven't charged it since yesterday and have been on it for 3-4hrs total today light-medium use.

running lion, bt off, screen 50-60% and keyboard 30-40% at night, brightness up during day and keyboard off

10. Juan TS thread starter macrumors member

11. sngx1275 macrumors regular

sngx1275

If I'm fairly heavily browsing the web (but not watching flash vids, or any vids for that matter). I can get probably 3.5-4 hours. Think with occasional use, like watching TV and only use to load up a few pages and chat over IRC occasionally I can get 5 maybe a bit more.

I have a mid 2009 13" MBP. Watts says I have 384 charge cycles, and 81% of my original battery capacity. (5450mAh vs 4433mAh now). I bought this thing used and it was less than a year old (by about 3 weeks) and had 360 charge cycles on it, and I'm pretty sure the capacity was 77% of original. That may have been enough to get me a new battery for free from Apple, but I never did it. Been using Watts for calibration and now I'm at 81%, seems it got better somehow...

12. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Moderate use, 4-6 hours.
    Very light use, 7.4 hours.
    Heavy use, 2-3 hours.

13. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I get 7 hours easy in a day with normal usage. Try taking it to an Apple store to get it looked at.

Actually Netflix uses Silverlight to stream video, not flash.

14. ottos macrumors member

mostly web page browsing I can easily get 6+ hours on 2010 13'' mbp 60% brightness ,
    full brightness watching Netflix around 2 1/2 hour it really eats up the the bat. time
    sometimes less than that.

15. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I have a 15" Mid 2010 with CTO 128GB SSD, and the High-Res Antiglare display.

In Snow Leopard, I could easily push 7 hours.
    Lion gives me about 5 and a half. This is with constant web browsing, and word open, at the default brightness on battery (2 squares missing)

16. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

I have the 09 macbook pro with the battery that is supposed to last 1000 cycles. when it got to 300 it was telling me to service the battery and now at 600 I'm down to about 3 hours at best if I keep everything really low setting and processing