How long does yours last?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lacereza, Oct 27, 2008.

?

HOw long does your late 2008 MPB battery last?

1. 5 hours, as per Apple's specs

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. 4 hours>

14 vote(s)
    32.6%
  3. 3 hours>

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  4. What's calibration?

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. lacereza macrumors regular

I need to decide whether to return my new MBP and/or its battery. Are y'all getting decent battery life? Mine gets 3 hours max on half brightness, bluetooth off, just browsing and using Word. And yes, I mistyped the poll question!

2. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I have all my setting at 100% and get just over 3 hours. The recharging seems to be far too long but I'm hoping that the next update will help shorten that time and lengthen battery time.

3. sk47 macrumors member

Surprisingly, Apple's figures are actually very close to reality (for me at least...)

I've been getting consistently 4 1/2 to 5 hours on 100% charge. Usually Apple is notorious for overexaggerating their figures but this one is quite accurate.

4. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Would you post your settings? Are you running your display brightness low? The energy saver in the better battery life?

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Couple minutes if I'm lucky.

OOOOOHHHH, you mean my COMPUTER!!!! About 4.5 hours. :eek:

EDIT: Dang it, not so funny after you change the thread title!!! It originally said "How long does yours last"

6. sk47 macrumors member

Umm display brightness is not exactly LOW, but not high either. Rather a low-medium lol. I have too much ambient light behind the mbp that i don't need much display backlight. And yes, the 4.5-5 hours is on the energy saver. No way can anyone get that much on 9600m gt lol...

7. RKpro macrumors 6502

I'm on my 3rd cycle, and with wifi and bluetooth off it says I have 5:27 left.

8. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

With 6 cycles and set to better battery performance with brightness set at around 75% (I found at 50% I could barely see the screen) I am getting 3:18 life. I am typing on my iMac now and not even actively using the MBP. The only things I have on are wifi and iTunes is open but not playing. I have calibrated it twice now. This seems to be a bit lower than others seem to be reporting.

I noticed the first time I plugged my MBP in and looked at iStatpro that it said it had 3 cycles. Does anybody think maybe my battery has an issue or is this normal? This question is very important to me as I will be using my MBP in an area that has electricity available only a few hours a day.

Also have people been getting better charge times as the battery gets broken in or are they still absurdly long like in the 4-5 hour range?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What the display shows you have left and what you really have left are two different things. Try running on battery until it shuts down to see how much time you're really getting. My guess is it won't be anywhere near 5 hours.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Damn, the thread title had so much potential. :D

11. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I agree here and when I gave my time that's about what it gets. After a certain time running on battery if your usage doesn't fluctuate you should get a reasonable idea from the meter. Is anybody getting more than 3 hours of actual usage?

In my case my MBP is sitting idle when I say I get 3 hours. I would welcome people to have the same settings and let it sit and post their actual results. If this isn't the model followed I bet I could get 8 hours. i am more interested in full charge>full discharge comparisons then what people get on their meter 5 seconds after they wake their MBP from sleep.

12. Jak3 macrumors regular

13. KC2 macrumors regular

14. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

LOL

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Either in :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware > Power > Battery Information > Health Information > Cycle Count
    or
    Use iStat Pro, which will show you your battery info in a widget.

16. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i was thinking the very same thing, but don't want to get booted.;)

17. lacereza thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. Title stands! POll title is different, though...

I'm really unsure about whether it's worth getting a new battery to replace this one. Seems that they're just kinda crap in general...

18. MacGeekDC macrumors 6502

They used to exaggerate but recently they have been closer to real world times.