Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmc1818

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
Will they release a 12" macbook soon or will it be awhile until more macs are released with the intel.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
very curious about this myself. Right now i have an ibook and 20" ACD, which I can't use b/c the ibook doesn't have DVI. So what I really want is a laptop with DVI, but I love the portabilitly of a 12".

If no 12" macbook is forthcoming, I'll go for the 15", eventually. But what I really want is a 12", and not the POS G4 model that's over a year old now.

hasselhoff

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2004
bmc1818 said:
Will they release a 12" macbook soon or will it be awhile until more macs are released with the intel.

`
carson-carnac.jpg

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
QCassidy352 said:
very curious about this myself. Right now i have an ibook and 20" ACD, which I can't use b/c the ibook doesn't have DVI. So what I really want is a laptop with DVI, but I love the portabilitly of a 12".

If no 12" macbook is forthcoming, I'll go for the 15", eventually. But what I really want is a 12", and not the POS G4 model that's over a year old now.

It kills me to say this, but I would agree. If they had announced a 12'' Macbook today, I would of bitten, but I always thought the 15'' to be bigger than my liking.

However, I don't think the G4 12'' is a POS. Its just not as wise of a choice as a MacBook

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Koodauw said:
However, I don't think the G4 12'' is a POS. Its just not as wise of a choice as a MacBook

Oh come on. It's got 256 RAM built in (with one open slot). It's got an nvidea 5200go, the same card the rev. B version had 2 years ago. It has a woefully sub-par screen. And yet it still costs $1500. It needed an update or a big price drop months ago. Compared to either the macbook or the 12" ibook it's a shockingly bad deal.

It's actually very surprising that there was no mention at all of the 17" or 12" powerbook. They could just disappear entirely, or be upgraded to intel quietly later on... but re: the 17" in particular, why wouldn't it be upgraded at the same time as the 15" if it's going to be upgraded at all? The engineering would have to be easier, given the additional space to work with.

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
QCassidy352 said:
Oh come on. It's got 256 RAM built in (with one open slot). It's got an nvidea 5200go, the same card the rev. B version had 2 years ago. It has a woefully sub-par screen. And yet it still costs $1500. It needed an update or a big price drop months ago. Compared to either the macbook or the 12" ibook it's a shockingly bad deal.

It's actually very surprising that there was no mention at all of the 17" or 12" powerbook. They could just disappear entirely, or be upgraded to intel quietly later on... but re: the 17" in particular, why wouldn't it be upgraded at the same time as the 15" if it's going to be upgraded at all? The engineering would have to be easier, given the additional space to work with.

i thought 15" was updated always out of sync with the 12 and 17... because they donot want too many new items at once (Quality/training issues) + they need some thing new every few months or so to keep the stock price sky high!

LACOSTE

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
Australia
likeley to drop the small form factor in high end macbooks

i think the 12" powerbook is end of lifed, and the 13.1" iBook line would take over.

Apple in my opinion plans to simplify its range

iBooks: 13.1" widescreen as the consumer portable, maybe of two config:
(1.) called iBook which doesnt have the extra functionality (like isight and IR) and
(2.) an iBook Pro which have the isight and IR.

*To keep it diverse, these iBooks maybe offered in a selection of colours, but most probably an apple white and black signature colour like the iPods.

Macbook Pro: the 15.4" and 17" are offered as described in MWSF.
*comment: i wish the apple remotes were also encased in aluminium to match the macbooks. "sigh"

Turn of the tide:
maybe a new portable altogether like an Appletablet or Applepad.

These would round-up the portable products nicely.

kerpow

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
London
I'm really shocked that Apple have released a Pro laptop before a consumer. Look around the web this morning, every site says the same - same old Apple, still overpriced.

I was hoping to recommend a new iBook for my Dad who is looking to switch but the MacBook Pro is way out of his budget.

macnvrbck

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2005
The Powerbook 1.5 G4 Combo Referb has dropped $100 to $1099 today... still think it is a shockingly bad deal? I need to buy a new computer soon and would like to stick to the PPC for the next year at least.

Brian

Boelman

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2004
I can't wait to see what they do with the macbooks. It is amazing to see a laptop with isight built in.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
Lets hope that on April 1, 2006 on Apple's 30th birthday, your wish will come true. They should have some sort of event. Predictions

-13.3"/17" MacBook Pros
-Mac mini

kerpow

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
London
Boelman said:
I can't wait to see what they do with the macbooks. It is amazing to see a laptop with isight built in.

Well....is it? My cell phone has 2 cameras built in, one for taking photos and videos and the other video chat. I see your point though - Apple are breaking new boundaries in the computer world.

Do you think the new iBooks will have iSight?

kerpow

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
London
bodeh6 said:
-13.3"/17" MacBook Pros
-Mac mini

Put them together and what have you got?

The MacBook Mini :D

Cheap, small, perfectly formed and powerful enough for the day to day stuff that consumers want.

You heard it here first!!!

IMHO I really don't see the MacBook Pro coming in any other sizes.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
QCassidy352 said:

Well while it does have 256 MB of ram built in, it comes with 512MB standard, WiFi, Bluetooth, a 60 or 80 gig HD, good battery life, and an average screen. That hardly makes it a POS.

As for the the video cards and other stuff...

"I'm not smart enough to debate you point to point on this, but I have the feeling that 60% of what you say is crap... But id don't know that for a fact."

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
macnvrbck said:
The Powerbook 1.5 G4 Combo Referb has dropped $100 to $1099 today... still think it is a shockingly bad deal?

no, I don't. It's only $100 more than the 12" ibook at that price, and that's not bad. $1500 vs. $1100 is a hell of a difference!

koodauw said:
Well while it does have 256 MB of ram built in, it comes with 512MB standard, WiFi, Bluetooth, a 60 or 80 gig HD, good battery life, and an average screen. That hardly makes it a POS.

The ibook also has 512 standard, and if you upgrade, which most people will, you're not throwing away a 256 stick. Not to mention that the ibook therefore has a higher max. WiFi and bluetooth are also standard on the ibook. 60/80 GB hard drive is nice, though the ibook can be upgraded to that. Good battery life, but still worse than the ibook. And the screen, like that of the ibook, is pretty far below average.

I should revise my statement, I guess: The 12" powerbook is a POS relatively speaking; you waaaay overpay for what you get. For $500 less you get an ibook that is nearly comparable and actually superior in several ways. For $500 more you get a macbook pro which is so vastly superior in so many ways that I won't bore you with it.

As for the the video cards and other stuff...

"I'm not smart enough to debate you point to point on this, but I have the feeling that 60% of what you say is crap... But id don't know that for a fact."

Oh come on. :rolleyes: I only really said one thing re: "video cards and other stuff" - that the 12" PB has an nvidea 5200go, which is the same card that it had 2 years ago. That statement is very easily verifiable here. And that wasn't a great card when it was put in at the time.

There needs to be a small (12 or 13") laptop that can do DVI and hence connect to the apple cinema displays!! Whether that's an ibook, "ibook pro," or macbook pro, I really hope apple doesn't ruin the "small laptop + external display" combo because I think that's ideal.

danm

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
Clarkston, WA
QCassidy352 said:
no, I don't. It's only $100 more than the 12" ibook at that price, and that's not bad. $1500 vs. $1100 is a hell of a difference!

The ibook also has 512 standard, and if you upgrade, which most people will, you're not throwing away a 256 stick. Not to mention that the ibook therefore has a higher max. WiFi and bluetooth are also standard on the ibook. 60/80 GB hard drive is nice, though the ibook can be upgraded to that. Good battery life, but still worse than the ibook. And the screen, like that of the ibook, is pretty far below average.

I should revise my statement, I guess: The 12" powerbook is a POS relatively speaking; you waaaay overpay for what you get. For $500 less you get an ibook that is nearly comparable and actually superior in several ways. For $500 more you get a macbook pro which is so vastly superior in so many ways that I won't bore you with it.

Oh come on. :rolleyes: I only really said one thing re: "video cards and other stuff" - that the 12" PB has an nvidea 5200go, which is the same card that it had 2 years ago. That statement is very easily verifiable here. And that wasn't a great card when it was put in at the time.

There needs to be a small (12 or 13") laptop that can do DVI and hence connect to the apple cinema displays!! Whether that's an ibook, "ibook pro," or macbook pro, I really hope apple doesn't ruin the "small laptop + external display" combo because I think that's ideal.

Umm, ...... you do know that 12" PB's have DVI out, right?

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I would just like to say that price does not make something a POS, but rather build quality, components, reliability etc. Price may make it an unwise choice to buy, and thats my main point. The 12'' PB is not a piece of crap, but rather not the best product to invest in at this time.

If the 12'' PB is a POS, then the 12'' iBook must as well, as they are very similar to each other.

kerpow

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
London
Thank-you.

I have a 12" PB and though I probably wouldn't buy one tomorrow I got a great deal on it (cost me just a $100 more than a 12" iBook) last year and am very happy with it. To some it may be not "Professional" enough but I like the portability of it and the design (compared with the iBook).

Superhob

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2004
I posted this in the main thread on the front page, but I'll repeat it here since it seems relevant.

CompUSA now has a "2-4 week" waiting period for the 12 inch Powerbook. I think this is an early indication that the 12" PB is on the way out.

As for the replacement, I hope apple makes a nice 12 or 13 inch widescreen ultraportable that's under 4 pounds, but that's just wishful thinking on my part. I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Apple should look at the new SZ series from sony. They have up to 7 hrs battery life, under 4 pounds (with optical drive) and 13.3 inch glare-type screen. Here's a link: http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_BrowseCatalog-Start?CategoryName=cpu_SZ_%20Series&Dept=computers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.