How long for Cydia to upload SHSH for new firmware?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by gpezzino, Aug 26, 2010.

1. gpezzino macrumors member

When I start Cydia I see that I have SHSH on file for 4.0.1 (which I saved about two weeks ago). I understand that Cydia will save SHSH for my phone for any new firmware version. Right now I do not see SHSH for 4.0.2. Is this normal? How long does it take for Cydia to go through the entire list of phones for which to save a new SHSH?

Thank you.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I may take up too three months for the next version to appear on the Cydia home page on your iPhone. This is normal. Don't forget the Cydia servers must ask Apple for many SHSH's per day.

3. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Cydia servers can only request a certain amount of hashes per day so Apple doesn't ban them. If you are at back of the line, there's a chance your hashes won't be saved in time. It's best to just use tinyumbrella and request it yourself (local on your computer) + send it to Cydia servers.

4. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

And this is exactly the reason why you should be using TinyUmbrella to save your SHSH for you on your own computer instead of hoping Cydia will retireve it in time.

Here's my guide.

http://www.hackthatphone.com/4x/ecid_shsh.html

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Saurik has well over a million ECIDs on-file, and must request SHSH for each individually. Moreover, he must do it slowly to avoid either compromising the Apple server or triggering some kind of security response from Apple.

ETA: I would like to point out that it is very possible that Cydia does, in fact, have your SHSH even if it is not displayed. There appears to once again be a bug preventing it from showing. Try using TinyUmbrella to download from the Cydia server; if it works, then your SHSH is on file in Cydia, whatever the display may say. That is the case for me; Cydia says I have only 3.0, 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0 and 4.0.1 . . . but I have confirmed with TinyUmbrella that I also have 4.0.2 on file.

6. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

I've never understood this. How can Apple not be aware by now which requests are being made by Saurik's servers? Surely all the requests must come from the same IP address or range. Why haven't they blocked him yet?

7. WilliamG macrumors 604

Yeah it's kinda weird, actually. I JB'ed my iPhone 4 and saved my SHSH to Cydia that very same day, however many weeks ago that was. My wife's iPhone 4 was JB'ed just 10 days ago, and she has SHSH saved for 4.0.1 and 4.0.2. My iPhone only has 4.0.1. listed.

Weird?

8. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

It would be easy for them to find out but not sure if they have ever or plan to do anything about it. As for why? Who knows. Why did they put such a low security check in the form of the SHSH to begin with? They could have easily made it near as impossible to store them but yet they made it so easy too.

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

As I said, there has historically been a problem displaying the new SHSHs for devices already on file. This happened when 4.0.1 was released, and appears to be happening again. This does not affect whether you have your SHSH on file. Just check it with Umbrella if you're concerned.

Surely? We have no idea what sort of procedures Saurik is using to hide his servers from Apple. Who knows what kind of network of proxies he's hiding behind?

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Last count (prior to jailbreak.me) was 1.7 million. Gotta be near 2 million now since the iPhone 4 jailbreak opportunities.

11. thep33t macrumors regular

If he requested a single hash a second, every second nonstop, it would take a month to save 2 million. I imagine he cannot request them at 1 a second without getting banned. So yea, do the math, ensure you backup the hashes manually.