How Long for "new" MacBooks to be in refurbished section?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BenK01, Mar 18, 2008.

1. BenK01 macrumors newbie

I like the idea of a refurbished Macbook because of the cost savings, but would prefer the latest model.

Can someone tell me how long it takes for "new" MacBooks to show up in the refurbished section of the Apple store?

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Consider this: there are no refurbished MBAs. Those were released new 2 months and 4 days ago. You might be waiting for a while.

3. joeybagadonutz macrumors member

When they do show up, you are about half way into that product cycle. Call it around 3-4 months.

4. BenK01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Looks like I'll be getting a new one or an older refurbished one.

5. joeybagadonutz macrumors member

Consider getting the most recently replaced MB from the refurbished section. Here are the specifications: http://support.apple.com/specs/macbook/MacBook_Late_2007.html Tuesday - Friday mornings seem best for availability. Use the $ saved for Applecare. If you are a student, the education store offers no additional discount on the refurbished systems. However, they do offer a discount on the applecare.

6. yojimbo1 macrumors member

I expect MB Airs to show up in the refurb section very soon--assume price will be around $1,549 for base model.

7. babyj macrumors 6502a

I keep an eye on the UK refurb section and there isn't any definite pattern that I've seen. They obviously don't list everything as it becomes available but I think them adding the latest products is more related to their stock levels of the previous products than any fixed time scales.

The iPod Classics haven't appeared yet but recently they've started dumping the 5.5G at bigger discounts. I'd imagine once they get rid of them they'll start with the Classics. Same with the Macs, once they've got rid of their stock of the previous gen they'll add the latest.

8. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I follow the refurb store closely as I am soon to buy a 'new' macbook. "The early bird catches the worm" is an appropriate statement, often new products will be in the store when I wake up in the morning around 8am, but by 10am they are gone. This is often the case with mac minis, which havn't been updated in a while and therefore are generally the same spec as the 'new' ones. I bought mine at 8am on a Saturday, by lunchtime there were none left... I would check each morning for a week or two, but make sure you are ready to buy if you see what you want, there's no time to think about it! :D