How long for SL?

Rowf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Does anyone know how long Snow Leopard will be supported with security updates?
What kind of precautions should be taken if I continue to use it after support ends? Will it still be safe to use?

Thanks in advance

Rowf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
It's already safe to use.
Thanks for the quick replies. What I mean is: will it still be safe to use when the security updates stop and should any precautions be taken to keep it safe.

Thanks.

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Honestly I wouldn't worry too much. By the time Apple stops issuing security updates the OS will be completely deprecated and probably unsupported by a lot of modern software.

I'm still on Snow Leopard thanks to Wacom never fixing their drivers for Lion (or Mountain Lion) and I'm sure many others are in the same boat so Snowy will probably be around for awhile in the creative industry.

----------

People still use Tiger to this day, so I think you have time.
This.

A job I am after requires experience from Tiger up to 10.7.

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
I believe it is very illogical to use an unsupported operating system.

It is like using Windows 2000 these days.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Doesn't mean its unsafe or renders it unable to perform any kind of task.

Plus, I believe its the most stable OSX up to date(after Tiger).
Fixed that for you ;) (emphasis mine)

Anyhow, I still find myself needing to go to Snowy to handle MIDIs, of all things. Playback of MIDI files is horribly broken in Lion, and remains that way in Mountain Lion. Plus, with iTunes being 64-bit in Lion and later, it will no longer open/convert MIDIs to AIFF/WAV/whatever.

EDIT: Now that ML is out, Lion will continue to receive security updates... but not Snow Leopard, or anything older. Generally, at this point, Apple only updates things like iTunes for users of OSes 2 generations behind.

Rowf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Hi all, thanks for the information. Very useful.
Think I might try dual booting S/L and Lion but that'll be for another thread:)

Appreciated and thank you.

Rowf