How long for special order retina models?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sjhwilkes, Nov 13, 2012.

1. sjhwilkes macrumors newbie

I ordered a 15" 2.6/16GB/512GB, J&R won't even estimate, I'm hoping a week or so to them then a few days to me. Sound realistic or should I forget about it until after Thanksgiving when it will become a nice surprise?

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I ordered mine with the same configuration from Apple on a Tuesday, got it 10 days later on the following Friday. It was 3 days for processing, and 4-5 days for shipping, with 2 more days being the weekend.

3. sjhwilkes thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, good choice on configuration ;)
    I'm guessing early the week after T-day then.

4. jas07 macrumors regular

jas07

Ordered mine on Friday and its scheduled for Delivery this Friday :)

Its currently browsing Duty Free looking at some Perfume at Shanghai Airport :p

5. mobiman macrumors newbie

Ordered my last two Frydays ago and still waiting. Same configuration.

6. sjhwilkes thread starter macrumors newbie

Ha! They should make this a standard build. I reasoned that I'm more likely to be RAM constrained than CPU and with soldered RAM 16GB makes sense for the lifetime of the machine. I think the premium for 768GB SSD is too great right now, maybe in 18 months if it's proving an issue OWC will have 1TB SSDs as an upgrade, if not there may well be large SDXC card options and there's always external USB3 - I ordered an enclosure to use for time machine backups.

7. fakebreakr macrumors newbie

Ordered a 2.6/16gb/256gb 15" rMBP from Apple on 10/31 - delivered to my house on 11/05. Was pretty surprised at how quickly it arrived.

8. gotzero macrumors 68040

I ordered the same config at the end of October, I received it this Monday.

9. pshifrin macrumors 6502

pshifrin

Tekserve in NYC has them in stock, as well as many other custom configs. In fact, I picked mine up there last week. It's nice to be able to walk into a store and pickup a custom config 2.6/16/512. Really cool store too...

10. jw2002 macrumors 6502

I bought exactly the model you are looking for from B&H Photo and got it the next day. And that was less than a week after Hurricane Sandy had hit the region. Plenty of places have these non-default configurations in stock and can ship them in a lot less than the 10 days that it takes Apple.