How long for YouTube videos to become iPhone compatible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stofferdk, Apr 21, 2009.

1. stofferdk macrumors regular

Does anyone know?

Thank you

(and yes, I did search the forums before I posted)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You mean, until they can be played back via the iPhone?

There already is an YouTube app, which plays back those videos, since YouTube (YT) has undergone a conversion to .h264 encoded videos two years ago.

See for yourself: http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/youtube.html

Or are talking about uploading a video to YT and the conversion of this video, so YT can play it back?
    As soon a video is available to YT it can be played back, on whatever device (that supports YT).

Or do you mean something else entirely?

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Not 100% true.

I still come across random YouTube videos that won't play on the iPhone. They're rare, but they exist. (And I mean old ones, so it's not like they've just been uploaded and are being converted.)

As for new files, I uploaded an HD video the other day. The standard version took about 5 minutes to appear online and the HD one took about 10-15 minutes. I checked after an hour and it still couldn't play on my iPhone. I don't know how long that took after that since I went to bed, but there was a considerable time difference there.

4. steve10172 macrumors regular

I also found that some Video clips which I can watch on YouTube on PC, aren`t available on iPhone.
    Some have appeared on iPhone after a while( I only checked back the following day), while others are not there on iphone YouTube at all even after days.
    Are there any restrictions?
    If someone can enlighten please..

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Sorry for the misinformation then. Generalized too much maybe.

I only tested it with some videos and the iPod Touch, but that shouldn't matter.

I just think it's strange that an iPhone version takes longer to show, but maybe the content has to be properly embedded in an iPhone readable template, and that takes some time, as I can't fathom, that YT has two versions of one video (the normal SD one for viewing with your computer and one for the iPhone).

6. retroneo macrumors 6502a

It's true, and it's not just two versions....

Youtube keeps several recompressed copies of each movie plus the original upload.

It takes time for the source file to be converted to all the formats after upload, and they are progressively going through the older uploads too converting them to additional formats (FLV low res (original), H.264 low res (iphone), H.264 high quality, H.264 'HD')

Youtube downloads a different H.264 version if you are on WiFi, which is larger in size and higher in quality.

7. stofferdk thread starter macrumors regular

Hi there,

thank you for all your answers, it is very kind of you to take your time.

When I uploaded, the s-def was available within 2 minutes, the h-def within 15 minutes... and more than a day after, the iPhone still does not support it, neither in wifi or 3G.

I guess I will have to wait a little longer.

I will report back should someone be interested :)

8. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

I tried this last week. I uploaded a video to YouTube on Wednesday night and was not able to view it on my iPhone until about Friday morning, I believe.

9. stofferdk thread starter macrumors regular

iPhone version is up - 1 day after submitting the source.

10. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

I subscribe to news shows on youtube. Having to wait even a day to get my subscriptions on my phone is long enough that I will not use a subscription service in the iphone youtube app.

11. stofferdk thread starter macrumors regular

yeah that is not going to work with those kind of shows. I figure its some fairly well-watched news shows... so YouTube should have some near instant priority on those imo.

12. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

It's possible that with the new video codec in iPhone 3.0 and the changes to the YouTube app, we could see these sorts of problems improving.

13. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I'm afraid in some cases they just never work. I uploaded a video to YouTube probably 5 weeks ago, and last time I checked it still wasn't playing properly on the iPhone. If you're the one who uploaded the video, it might be worth your while to remove it and upload it again... if you're that concerned about the fact that it won't play on your iPhone, that is.

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Just uploaded something today. Took less than 5 hours for the video to become iPhone compatible.

15. GarySky macrumors newbie