How long has your MBP lasted you?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by outsidethebox, Sep 28, 2010.

1. outsidethebox macrumors member

I really want to get either a) an iPhone 4, or b) sell my MBP and get the newest model. Currently I still have my first ever MBP (late 2006, 2.16) and it seems like I've held onto this for far longer than what most people do -- it's coming on 5 years now! (Of course I have heard about the diehard Powermac G4 users still using theirs as well).

I'm wondering how long I can expect my MBP to run for? I upgraded the HD last year, and while the battery unfortunately never holds more than 2 hours anymore (even after several replacements), and the fan get's loud as a s### a lot of the time, the computer still runs everything perfectly, and I could probably put it in a box and sell it as new since I have taken such good care of it.

I'm just worried that one of these days it will just completely tank on me, which is why I'm trying to decide what to do.

2. DJ-R macrumors regular

i still have a 12 years old laptop running on Windows 7

3. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i think it depends on how well you have taken care of it. i bought mine in 2007 and it still looks and operates like new (except for the damn battery of course.) i plan to run mine till it dies.

4. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I'd say it actually depends on what iPhone you have now (if you have one). I've only had my MBP for a year but I've never looked back and it still runs as well as when I first got it. As long as it does everything you need it to do, there's certainly no absolute need to upgrade. Computer parts do wear over time though, and you will eventually need to get a new system.

On the other hand, the iPhone is something that is significantly improved over the original and 3G versions, and you would see significant increases in usability and performance. SO:

If you have a iPhone 3GS I'd consider getting a new MBP

If you don't have an iPhone and really want one, or you have an old model that you badly want to upgrade, I'd say go for it and run your Mac as long as possible.

5. outsidethebox thread starter macrumors member

I have never had a smartphone, let along an iPhone before, which is why I am kind of excited about that. The reason I'm worried that my MBP might tank is because I use it everyday for university, and I'll be heading to expensive grad school next year, and if something happened to it (and I couldn't afford a new one) then I would be totally screwed.

But if I take care of it like I have been doing, then from what it sounds, it should just keep running fine?

6. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

get the phone and just save some $$ for a MBP when/if yours tanks.

7. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Should is definitely the operative word there. I mean, there aren't even any guarantees that a new system would not break down on you. I wouldn't purchase a brand new computer solely based on the fear of your current system having a problem. I've only bought a new system when the one I had broke beyond repair or there were significant benefits from the newer technology.

If I were you, I'd go for the iPhone, I think you'll see a significant improvement in your daily living from that, versus a relatively minor improvement with a new (much more expensive) macbook pro.

8. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

My MBP is older than yours (mid 2006) and it seems pretty strong. I've tried to take care of it, but my palm rest is corroded and I have a dent on the side of the case from something, but it's been okay. People's Powerbooks have lasted forever as well as you have said. Go for the iPhone

9. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

My old Santa Rosa MBP 17 is still running like a top. 3+ years now.

10. sunburn macrumors newbie

i'm running an powerbook g4. it works like a champ, but the battery only last about a half hour off the power cord. i'm going to get a new macbook pro soon.

11. bunit macrumors regular

bunit

They last to long. Lots of time I want to buy a new one, but can't justify the purchase cause the "old one" still runs strong!:apple:

12. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

I'm still rockin' my 06 mbp, with no problems. No, it doesn't play the latest games (not very well anyway...), but it functions very well as a secondary to my Mac Pro. I'll run it till it dies, it's been a great laptop.

13. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I still have the original MacBook Pro from 2006. Core Duo, 2GB of ram and the ATI Radeon X1600 Mobility.

Flies with an Solid State Disk though.

14. wattage macrumors 6502

wattage

Still using my MBP from March 06 with only one problem. The GPU went out last weekend, BUT the first MBPs with ATI or NVIDIA GPUs are covered and known to be faulty so I got new logic board for free. Still use my G4 powerbook for surfing/email/itunes.

15. gorchest macrumors newbie

My experience is the same as the guy that wrote in "i think it depends on how well you have taken care of it. i bought mine in 2007 and it still looks and operates like new (except for the damn battery of course.)".

Of course I yearn for SSD and i7 but you can scarcely fault the current
    (June 2007) MBP for MY tech lust.... I will say the MBP battery thing is
    a bummer but there is the hyperMac "brick" for that.... also iPad reduces
    greatly the use of my MBP for quick jaunts. Do not go small with iPad
    because once you see a movie on it you will want the space for video.

VBrown
    15" MBP 2.4 Core2Duo 4Mb RAM 320Gb HD @7200rpm
    24" iMac 3.06 Core2 Duo 4Mb RAM 1Tb HD @7200rpm
    iPhone 4 32Gb
    current gen Nano 16Gb; 1st Gen Nano 8Gb (dying from daily use)
    previous gen Touch 64Gb
    iPad 64Gb WiFi + 3G
    MobileMe "...one cloud to sync them ALL"

16. LocoStrange macrumors member

17. Flip2gig macrumors newbie

2005 PowerBookG4 here, still running strong, Tiger FTW... Plan on going sandy-bridge next year.

18. d88co88 macrumors 6502

d88co88

I'm almost positive that's impossible.

19. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

With enough RAM... I'm pretty sure a Pentium II could run Win 7.

20. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Highly doubt it.

21. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

My Powerbook G4 1.25Ghz is still going after 7yrs. I know that's not a lot but considering I'm on it atleast 10-12hrs a day. It still runs. I recently used it while my MBP was in the shop (replaced LCD Screen).

IMO if you take care of you computer, you should be fine.

22. Ricket macrumors newbie

In my experience, Windows 7 runs great on anything recent but its performance drops sharply if you try to run it on anything pre-Core Duo. Pentium 4s run it slower than they do XP, and I'm sure a P3 would be absolutely miserable but maybe barely usable. I don't think you could quite make it as low as a P2.

It definitely runs best on a dual core or recent single core machine though (e.g. the Intel Atom); it takes advantage of the hardware better than XP so it ends up running faster than XP on that system. It's pretty interesting.

23. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

my 07 santa rosa mbp croaked on me after 2 years and 10 months. Thank goodness for applecare. (got a new i5 replacement). The battery life on the new machines is crazy awesome compared to the hour or so i got from batteries that were only 6 months old with my old machine.

24. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

I just cut my AT&T service and now I used my iPhone 4 as a iPod touch.