How long has your MBP lasted?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wallaby, Feb 24, 2011.

1. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

In light of the upgrades that were released today, I'm curious to know how long others have been rocking their older Macbook Pros. I've still seen G4 Powerbooks out in the wild, and that gives me hope, since I really would rather not have to replace my laptop at the moment. However, as an owner of a 2007 MBP, I've noticed the thing gets crazy-hot anymore and the fans whir up nearly any time I have Photoshop and Firefox 4 open (possibly because Firefox is a memory hog). I've already had the logic board replaced once on account of the faulty nVidia 8600M GT 128MB graphics card, and the battery is getting to the point of "replace me NOW." I've upgraded the hard drive and RAM myself, and I'd like to keep the machine going even longer with a new battery and an SSD Expresscard, but I'm worried about shelling out money for these things if the laptop's not going to last due to heat issues.

Apple's always been reputable for quality and longevity, but I'm curious to know from actual MBP owners: how's yours holding up?

FYI, my normal usage: Graphic design work using Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and coding HTML/CSS; occasionally I use Final Cut Pro or After Effects for a small project.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I still have a 2006 Core Duo that's working more or less at the same level as when I got it.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

My current MacBook Pro is from early 2008 and is still serving me adequately for my mobile needs. It is getting a little bit old, so I'm getting a Mac Pro to do all the heavy lifting and I'll continue to use the MacBook Pro for all of my mobile needs.

4. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

Since late 2006, The screen was replaced due to defect the first year, new battery the second year, optical drive barely works anymore(reads sometimes, doesn't write) and the fans sound kinda bad and could use replacing. other than that it's still a good machine for browsing and video watching. Light production work too, occasional final cut or photoshop and adobe onlocation for a vectorscope monitor for HDV video shoots.

5. Davichi macrumors 6502

Bought 2010 MBP and converted to Mac in last June. Still going strong. Never ever had any problems.

I gave it to my father and I am using 11.6 MBA.

I will be jumping into 15 inch MBP as soon as apple does complete redesign with standard SSD.

6. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

my wife's 2007 black macbook is rocking right along. It'll be 4 years old in May

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Since 2005 with my G4 PB. Still like the day I got it. :)

8. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

I also have a 2007 MBP. I've had the logic board replaced once because of the 8600M GT issue. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again. That's why I ordered a new 15" today. I'm also feeling constrained by the small 160 GB HDD, especially considering I also have a windows partition.

9. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

I mainly use my 2010 MBP 13 inch when I am at work. However, I have a 2007 MBP that still works fine. I have only had to replace the keyboard (older silver keys) and a hard drive failure. All though to be fair the keyboard failure was my fault.

10. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

2006, 17" Core Duo MacBook Pro, works fine. Just have bluetooth broken but beyond that, works great. I am giving it to a family member though cause I got the 2010, 15" Core i7 to last me another 3 years at least.

11. kukrisna macrumors member

2006 Core Duo still rocking here - survived half a bottle of wine dunked right into it post AppleCare - sure it wasnt back to its old self straight away, but now despite one busted fan, some gpu issues, and the inability to burn media, it's just peachy!