How long have you had your iMac for?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NuggetSauce, Nov 8, 2013.

1. NuggetSauce macrumors regular

I'm riding mine out for as long as technically possible.

20" 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo. early 2008

I've done a few upgrades for posterity.

Doubled the ram to 4GB 2 years ago. Treated it to a Magic Trackpad. And just installed a new terabyte hdd with a fresh install of Mavericks.

It still does all the things it's been intended for just fine. Everything except graphic intensive gaming. But I can still get in a few games like Portal, Kotor, Walking Dead, even WoW and Eve Online.

I've mostly built my own PC AMD and Intel systems from scratch, and usually got 3-4 years on average out of them before going to a new build. But I'm on a new record with the iMac.

It still runs quiet as a mouse. Display remains bright and crisp. Startup and shutdown is still snappy.

Detractors complain about macs prices. Well it's definitely not bad when you get a good long run out of them :)

2. Dunmail macrumors regular

I've an early 2009 24" iMac. I got it for a significant birthday. Originally came with 4Gb RAM and I've updated that to 8Gb. Last year I replaced the keyboard (one column of letters wouldn't work) and ditched the mighty mouse for a trackpad.

It came with Leopard, I upgraded to Snow Leopard then Lion, I might update to Mavericks when the main of the bugs have been ironed out.

Still runs at a good pace - hard to tell if it's as quick as it was, my memory isn't that good. I expect to be using it for a few years yet

3. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

My 2007 was moved to print and file serving about a year ago when I got a 2012. It's still a capable machine, but was maxing out on some of my larger audio projects. Would be fine for Office and browsing.