How long is the bluetooth range? (I was able to get notifications without a phone)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by venividivigor, Apr 28, 2015.

1. venividivigor macrumors 6502

So I went to the gym today and left my iPhone in the change room. and I was pretty distant from it where I was running at. I was surprised I was still getting notifications from it! I have no local internet wifi's connected, my phone definitely used LTE and the signal was certainly only on 1 bar when I saw it after my workout.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It will use wifi/Bluetooth from your iPhone. Wifi far exceeds bluetooths 30meter range

3. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

he wasn't on wi fi at the gym. Lots of gyms don't currently have wi-fi. This is what I'm wanting to know also.
    Is there any walls to to get to the locker room?

4. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I was surprised by the range of Bluetooth, I had the same experience in the gym. It's quite cool

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It will use wifi/Bluetooth from your IPHONE. Wifi far exceeds bluetooths 30meter range

*ive put the relevant information in bold*

6. venividivigor thread starter macrumors 6502

So our Apple watches have wifi connectivity? How?

7. anticipate macrumors regular

If your phone has connected to wifi in the past it passes that info to the watch. So the watch can also use wifi. Also if your phone is on the same wifi network as the watch, it will communicate with the phone over that.

8. priscilla55 macrumors regular

priscilla55

If you look under settings-general-about on the watch, you can see the wifi address.

9. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

10. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

So it's like the current TV in that regard?

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

To add to this the watch can also connect to the phone via wifi when no networks are available.

12. rick98761 macrumors 6502

That's cool. I didn't realize it did wifi directly.

13. anticipate macrumors regular

Great I didn't know that!

I also didn't know about the 2.4 Ghz limit, though it doesn't seem to be an issue.

I have noticed that BT while working out in workout app and using BT headphones to listen to watch music can have some cutouts. I experienced it once in a 30 min session yesterday.

Other than that, it works very well. I only have BT at work - no wifi - and the watch stays connected to the phone in all but the corners of the building and deep in peripheral offices. The floor is around 100 feet by 200 feet... not bad.

14. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

glad to know you aren't on wi fi and can still stay connected for a few hundred feet.
    If I'm not mistaken 2.4 ghz has a longer range than 5ghz so thats why they chose that frequency?