How long is too long for a repair?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cecret, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Cecret macrumors member

I dropped my 2.16 24" white iMac off at the apple store to fix a graphics problem 11 days ago. I have called multiple times and have been told that they were replacing the logic board and the graphics card, but still no progress. Do they have any sort of time limit to get the repairs done? It looks like best case I will be without a computer for 2 weeks. Needless to say I'm a little unhappy and need to vent.

2. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

my experience

I had a graphics issue last September with my MBP , 7 months into my 3 year warranty. I called Apple support and they arranged to have me send the system back to Apple in a pre-paid box.They replaced the logic board AND the hard drive (because they did a standard diagnostic on the system and found a problm). It came back in 5 business days. I essentially, got brand new system. I was impressed.
    Your experience is a-typical from an Apple perspective. I would complain loudly at this point.

On the other hand, if this was an in-store dropoff on a non-warranty system, I don't know what is reasonable.

3. Cecret thread starter macrumors member

I'm pissed because this is my 9th mac in the last 11 years and so far every single one has had a logic board failure. I have applecare so it's covered, but I need my imac back on my desk.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

14 days. This is from recent experience. After that they've had it too long. I was told 5-7 then it moved to 10-14. I walked away with a brand new machine.

5. oneEG6 macrumors member

I would just call and speak to the lead genius, see what's going on. While 3 weeks was the fastest I ever got my HP repaired under warranty, Apple tends to be around a week... the store near me is typically only 3-4 days or so.

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

+1 with Jessica for the 14 days max. One thing to keep in mind that those 14 days must be 14 business days so it's probably a good idea not to include Sat & Sun.