How long it takes to get use to the keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Abaganov, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Abaganov macrumors regular

Went to the apple store today and played with the new Pro's and omg that keyboard is strange,
    right now I'm kinda confused and not sure I will be able to feel comfortable with such a shallow typing ,

can some owners of the current Pro's line comment on their experience and how long did it take you to to get use to that ? and how you feel about it now?

2. Mefisto macrumors 6502

Mefisto

Honestly it only took me a couple of days to fully learn to appreciate and become used to the new keyboard.

Within hours of purchase I started seeing the benefits compared to the old one, but it took some time to learn to type without making much noise while doing it.

I like it better than the old one, personally, but it can be an acquired taste in the sense that it does take some getting used to.

3. lambertjohn macrumors 6502

Not me. Never could get used to the new keyboard. My fingers hurt after thirty minutes of typing, and that's never happened with any computer I've ever owned. So I took the thing back to Best Buy and refunded it and bought a refurb 2015 Macbook Pro from Apple's refurb website. Haven't regretted my decision one bit.

4. Sanpete macrumors 68020

As you can see, some quickly adjust, and some never do. A lot depends on how hard you type.

5. tnfan macrumors newbie

First I must say this is my first ever Mac computer. Been a user of Windows based computers for many years (IBM, Dell, Gateway, Toshiba, to name a few). I had no issues getting acclimated to the MacBook keyboard from the get go. As stated above some adjust quickly others just don't like it at all. Hope it works out for you. Got to say I love this computer and have had no issues since purchased the second week of December. Easy transition for me to the Mac OS.

6. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Took me 3 or 4 days to really adjust to the new keyboard, but now that I have, I would not go back. I pulled out my '13 MPB a couple of days ago and they keyboard just felt foreign, now that I have become accustomed to the new one

7. MadDane macrumors 6502a

After a couple of months I still could not get used to it. I much prefer the older keyboard with more travel and more distance between the keys. So - as others have said - it is a very personal thing.

8. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

It took me a little while to get used to the lesser travel - I think part of it is allowing your subconscious motor movements to adapt to not strike the keys quite as hard as you would with the prior design, because I think we start to subconsciously expect a certain amount of travel, and it feels strange at first when that travel isn't there. I much prefer typing on my mechanical keyboard to either design, or any laptop keyboard, for that matter.

9. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

It took me a few days to get to where I thought I could get used to the keyboard. I deal with a lot of keyboards at work and my 13" nTB was one of the stranger sounding keyboard I've used.

Today I decided to exchange my 13" nTB for the 15" stock with the 455 since they had them at the Apple Store in town. I was surprised to find that the keyboard sounds different. I'm guessing it has to do with the size of the chassis, but it seems like it's a different keyboard. It's not clacky like the 13" one was. And I swear, and I could be completely wrong here, but it seems like the keys on my 15" are slightly textured on top vs smooth on the 13".

For some reason I like the keyboard on my 15" more. Could be psychological, dunno. I still feel like I'm typing in mud and I can't break free like typing on most other keyboards. I can't match speed or accuracy like on others, that's for sure. And for the record I can't type as quickly on a modern mechanical as I can the previous generation Apple keyboard, which may be my favorite one ever.

10. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

a few hours to like it, a few days to love it, and a few weeks to hate every other keyboard on earth

11. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

Honestly, I said in my review the keyboard sucks and I stand by it lol BUT I will say if you don't type much it's kind of all right. LIke I'm getting used to it just for quick typing. Like a small message or something. But typing this post, which isn't even that long, I don't like typing on it. I find when I type on it a lot my fingers kind of hurt and get tired.

12. kuro123 macrumors newbie

kuro123

I am a quiet typer and my fingers tend to glide between keys instead of lifting my fingers up high to move onto the next key. This keyboard is perfect for me. I also love the clickey sound of the keyboard. I used to love the mechanical keyboard but was quickly annoyed by the fact that it was wayyy too loud at night. However, this MBP keyboard is the intermediate between the mechanical and the silence(?) ones.

13. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

The bottom line is, if you're a heavy typer, it's NOT they keyboard for you. If you cannot learn to type with less force and more elegance, your fingers will get sore and you'll be frustrated.

It took me a day or so to lighten my keystrokes up. . I'm so used to mechanical keyboards that it was REALLY counter intuitive. I noticed that when I finally started lightening up, my typing got faster. Now, I love the thing :)

14. Abaganov thread starter macrumors regular

15. edison_1 macrumors newbie

exactly the same!

16. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Sanpete has it right in reply 4 above.

You might adapt to the new keyboard.
    Then again, you might not.

Are you able to get a 2015 Apple-refurbished MacBook Pro where you are?
    That might be a good alternative.
    Still has the "older" keyboard (much less troublesome), and all the legacy ports...