How long it takes your JB Iphone 3GS 32GB to find network?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fox777, Jan 8, 2010.

1. fox777 macrumors regular

fox777

I have very strange situation. I have 2 Iphone 3GS 16GB and it takes about 5-6 seconds to find network with Tmobile sim card OR AT&T.

So I just recently bought 32GB, JB it and when I use Tmobile sim it takes about 1.5 mins to find network BUT when you use ATT sim card with this 32gig it takes about 5 sec to find network.

Anyone has same situation?

PS All 3 phones are JB and running 3.1.2 fir with 5.11 BB

2. NathanA macrumors 6502a

That sounds odd. I don't know for sure since I'm also in the US and I don't use ultrasn0w or blacksn0w (have no non-ATT SIMs I want to use in the phone), but...I seem to recall that for both yellowsn0w and ultrasn0w (and quite possibly for blacksn0w, too), if you were going to use a SIM from a provider that was not operating 3G towers that the iPhone could connect to, and thus could only use on EDGE (such as T-Mobile in the USA), that you had to make sure that you turned 3G OFF in the phone settings (Settings -> General -> Network -> Enable 3G). Is your 3G set to OFF when you put your T-Mobile SIM in?

I really doubt it has anything to do with 16GB vs. 32GB and there has got to be an obvious difference in configuration between the phones, or some other logical explanation.

-- Nathan

3. fox777 thread starter macrumors regular

fox777

Ok thanks man.. That was n00b moment. I am actually not new to iphones and unlocked 10+ iphones in the past but totally forgot about this. That solved the issue :D

4. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

my 3G took seconds to find ATT networks
    When that same SIm was used in the 3GS it took minutes.

I stopped by an ATT store and they swapped out my SIMs and now on the 3Gs it is just as quick as my 3G.

5. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Hah, sweet. :) Just took a shot in the dark, there.

Huh. Slightly different than OP's problem since his ATT sim worked great in all phones. Only his T-Mobile one was slow in 1 out of 3 3GS phones. Must've been a dodgy SIM in your case, and/or the 3GS is more picky about SIMs.

-- Nathan

6. Phat^Trance macrumors regular

Phat^Trance

1.5min is way off, mine finds the network in less than 10sec

7. TonyStyles84 macrumors newbie

It depends on the signal strength. In Moscow, it takes my iPhone to find the network in 5-10 seconds[​IMG]