How long should a rMBP last?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iFusionApple, Jun 28, 2013.

1. iFusionApple macrumors member

I'm wondering how long a rMBP should last. The cMBP lasts around 6 years. But since you can't upgrade ram in it after a time, will that affect the life if you already have 16 in it at the beginning and leave it in? Would it be better if you (could) start with 8 and when it slows down you upgrade to 16GB?

I hope that if i treat my rMBP (when i will have one) nice and take good care, that it will also last 6 years about. I would use it for everyday normal usage and bit of gaming.

2. Ifti macrumors 68000

A computer lasts as long as it takes to continue doing the tasks you require.

Many people only use their computer for web surfing and word processing - something a computer 10-15 years old can still do.

3. antjefferson macrumors newbie

Lol - I'd like to see you try to surf the web (or do anything else for that matter) on a computer from 10-15 years ago.

I think 5-6 years is probably the sweet spot for a Mac. By then, it will start to feel dated. Especially when compared to all of the shiny new tech that will come out between now and then. Sure...it'll still work, and for basic usage may still suffice. But things go downhill fast nowadays. I don't really buy into "future proofing"...mostly because no one can predict the future (of tech or anything else) with any real accuracy. :)

4. Ifti macrumors 68000

I still have a Dell D620. Almost 10 years old. Upgraded RAM and it runs Windows 7 fine. Kids use it for web surfing and word docs etc perfectly fine. So yes, a 10 year old system can do all the basic tasks perfectly fine. You need newer systems for speed and to run the latest program's etc.