How long should I charge the battery? (first time)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevearm, Jul 27, 2008.

1. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

Have a brand new iPhone 3G and was just wondering if anyone could tell me how long I need to charge it for the first time? Is it a couple of hours, or more like 8+ hours like some older mobile phones?

Also, can I use it while it's charging?

Thanks!

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

You can use it while it's charging. Just charge it until it shows the plug icon indicating that it's charged. Most recommend to let the battery drain all the way for the first 1 or 2 charge cycles so that your battery meter becomes properly calibrated.

3. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, so no need to leave it charging overnight or for 8+ hours then?

4. SoSII macrumors member

Li-ion dont need this kind of conditioning afaik...

5. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

li-poly and li-ion like to be fully charge and absolutely hate being drained to empty' or near empty.

for these devices practice the "charge it when you can" life style. If you're at home pop it in the cradle, if you're at work... plug it in.

that's what I do, and on a full charge, if need be I can run somewhere around 5:15-6 hours usage and 21+ hours of stand-by

6. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Yeah I'm with him. I always keep my iPhone plugged in to my computer if I'm not out of the house or AFK. When I have it plugged in, I also happily turn on 3G since the battery life isn't dying. But when I am out of the house, I keep 3G off mostly and enjoy the 6-7 hours of battery life (or 24 hours of music+standby).

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

i agree with him, LiIon polymer battery technology has improved so you can just use it as you please. but every time you go below the 50% mark, its one "cycle". So I usually have it plugged in, although right now, the laptop is riding on AC power. Same principal applies to ipod/iphone/etc.

8. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

I would charge it for a few hours initially, just in case. Won't harm anything. This ensures you have a fully charged battery and you can now calibrate.

To calibrate your battery, fully charge your battery, then fully drain. Once fully drained, let the phone sit for a few hours. Again, fully charge your battery.

At this point, the battery should be calibrated. If you notice your indicator isn't very accurate still, retry this procedure until it posts accurate readings. More info can be found in my guide here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=525741

9. sethy macrumors newbie

I always thought is was bad for batterys to charge them, when they're not completely drained. Does the iPhone use other batterys, 'cause I don't want to hurt batterylife by charging wrong :(

10. automatickyle macrumors regular

Do not drain the battery except once a month. Like other previous people said before. This battery enjoys being charged.

www.apple.com/batteries

11. Oyvrot macrumors newbie

I was just wondering, how does the battery icon look like when it is charging? Is it the same as with the Macbook?