How long should I wait before selling my old imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gentleman00, Nov 21, 2009.

  1. gentleman00 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    #1
    OK, so I have upgraded to the 27" imac. How long should I wait before advertising the older imac 20" I have for sale?
     
  2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

    thegoldenmackid

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2006
    Location:
    dallas, texas
    #2
    As soon as you have the 27" and see that it is working? You could start before, just make it clear that you cannot transfer the machine until x date.
     
  3. dborja macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2007
    Location:
    Northern California
    #3
    I've done this, too, when I was upgrading to my current iMac. Just make it clear on the ad that you can't ship until a certain date as thegoldenmackid said.

    In my case, the buyer was nice so I ended up shipping ahead of my new iMac's arrival after copying the disk image to an external drive sans Mighty Mouse since I didn't want to give up my MX Revolution. Then, when the new iMac came, I shipped the mouse. All worked out and we were both happy.:)
     
  4. Kronie macrumors 6502a

    Kronie

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2008
    #4
    I would wait until your 14 days are up. If you need to send the machine back for a replacement, (as I did) you will be out a computer.

    I am selling my 17" Unibody as soon as my 14 days are up on the replacement i7.
     
  5. gentleman00 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    #5
    Yes, the 14 day rule seems about right.


     
  6. jettie1767 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2003
    Location:
    New Jersey, USA
    #6
    I sold my imac 20" a week after I got the i7. And it sold in a matter of minutes on ebay.
     
  7. tunerX Suspended

    tunerX

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2009
    #7
    I would wait a couple weeks... I don't plan on selling my old 24", the kids are enjoying it.
     
  8. rhs7787 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2008
    #8
    What are the 24's going for right now? Considering selling it and upgrading to the 27
     
  9. silverprince macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2009
    Location:
    Australia
    #9
    I wouldn't hesitate....sell it asap.
    The value on old iMacs are gonna get worse everyday.
    I sold my (2007) MacPro 5 weeks ago for $2700(AUS). Great price.
    There are MacPro's selling on eBay now, with much better specs than my old machine.

    Thank goodness I sold it when I did.
     
  10. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2008
    #10
    That completely depends on what the specs are for your 24" iMac. Your best bet is to watch eBay and also search the For Sale forum here. More often than not, eBay tends to sell high while MacRumors forum members tend to be on the savvy side, so prices are somewhat on the lower side. Your expectation should fall somewhere in-between.

    Bryan
     
  11. dborja macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2007
    Location:
    Northern California
    #11
    As the previous posters have said, it depends on the model and what you've done to it (upgrades, condition, etc.). I'm selling my 24" Early '08 iMac (2.8GHz, 4GB) and recent sales have been between $1000 and $1300.

    I'm doing it backwards in this case - I won't buy a Quad Core 27" unless my current iMac sells. I put it up for a 3 day auction yesterday and it's already receiving bids. Crossing my fingers...:)
     
  12. gentleman00 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    #12
    I have a 20inch imac ( 2007). I am thinking of selling it for $700.00. How do you ship these things?


     
  13. dborja macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2007
    Location:
    Northern California
    #13
    Actually I sold the same machine as yours last March for the same amount so I'm not sure how much it will fetch now. I shipped it via USPS Priority Mail with insurance and signature confirmation.
     

Share This Page