How long should I wait to buy a mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacMusicMan69, Feb 20, 2006.

  1. MacMusicMan69 macrumors newbie

    Feb 17, 2006
    Ok right now I have Digital Audio 533mhz with 768mbs of and tiger. It runs fine and all, except in garage band it some times crashes the application. I was wondering if I should get a mini now, or wait for the intel to be dropped in them. Of course the iMac looks better and I've already used one, the 20" and I fell in love with it. But I can only afford a mini, so I jsut want to know should I buy it when it first comes out or wait for the second/third revision. And are they putting a dual or single core in them, or is there a cheaper alternitive to upgrading this processor.
  2. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 27, 2004
    What other applications do you use besides Garageband? I'm surprised that you could even use it! The requirements for it, is like a 600 Mhz G3 right?

    Anyway, if you REALLY need a new mac, go ahead and get the Mac Mini. Otherwise, if you can, wait for the next revision of the Mac Mini, which should include a Core Solo processor inside of them. They should be out within the next 3 months.

    OR, by the time the new Mac Mini is released, maybe you'll have enough money by then to get an iMac? Hopefully, I just love those Core Duo processors in them sexy iMac enclosures... :-D Or even a MacBook Pro... :rolleyes:
  3. MacMusicMan69 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 17, 2006
    apps i use

    I use mostly safari, camino, mail, Itunes, Garage Band and, i use a tascam us-122 for auido/midi
  4. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 27, 2004
    Well then, it seems that the present Mac Mini will suit your needs. I'd say wait for the Intel based Mac Mini if you can wait, just to be more "future-proofed". But if you can't, the PowerPC based Mac Mini is more than enough for your needs. :D
  5. nagromme macrumors G5


    May 2, 2002
    For your needs, I'd say the G4 will do the job... but Intel Core Solo will do the job much BETTER and for the same money.

    So wait if you can. I expect Core Solo Mac Minis by end of April. It can't be long.

    Core Duo models are not out of the question either.

    For comparison, with native apps, a Core Solo tests out almost as fast as a G5. Core Duo tests out faster--in some cases (especially running multiple apps at once) much faster.

    And you're right that the older a model is, the more proven it is. But keep that in perspective: even a first-version new Mac has a VERY high chance of being perfect, and a warranty in the even of bad luck. Apple has THE highest rating for desktop hardware reliability in the industry.

    If you keep waiting, better and better Mac Minis will come out every 6 months or so. You have to make the call about when to make the jump. But I'd at least join the new generation of Macs: wait for Intel until unless you find a super deal on a G4.

    Consider a low-end MacBook (whatever replaces the iBook), expected soon as well. Portability is GREAT!
  6. typewriterchimp macrumors member

    Sep 30, 2005
    tricky situation

    others have raised good point all around. certainly, you don't want to pay full retail price for ppc hardware at this point. but if you have all ppc applications and you don't want to spend all that money on an expensive new intel system (500 dollar intel mini will make the g4 mini pretty cheap), then ppc is still a good option, obviously. my advice would be to wait until the ppc minis go on sale.

    but for the same money, you could really upgrade that g4 tower of yours. 400 bucks worth of cpu upgrade cards, plus some extra money for a core image compatible video card and some ram from OWC ( would create a beast that would crush the mini in every task. this, ultimately, would be my choice.

    just my 2 cents

  7. rdowns macrumors Penryn


    Jul 11, 2003
    Unless you need it now or have PPC specific s/w and can't afford to upgrade, I think you'd be nuts to buy a G4 at this stage of the game.
  8. MacMusicMan69 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 17, 2006

    Well thanks...
    I think I wait for the Intel to come out, that way I won't be completely left behind in the future. If I am going to get a Brand new Mac, I mean g4 is older technology. And why spend 400 bucks for upgrades video card and ram if I can get an new Intel Mini for around the same amount of $$$$$ when they land here in reality.

    :) :D
  9. Chundles macrumors G4


    Jul 4, 2005
    The Digital Audio PowerMac is a G4. The 533MHz G4 is quicker than the 600MHz G3 and has Altivec etc. built in. It will run GarageBand slowly but it will run.

    I'd wait till they release the Intel mini. I imagine this happening alongside the iBook release, based around the Intel Core Solo or low speed Core Duo. I think the best time for release will be mid-autumn (late March early April) to correspond with the main academic purchasing season in the US.
  10. cheapnis macrumors newbie

    Jul 24, 2003
    Agreed! Your DA G4 will take a dual processor upgrade, it's EMINENTLY upgradeable. I have an upgraded G4 I use with Logic Pro. It's only a single processor upgrade but it does a hell of a job RELIABLY.

    Apart from more RAM if you're running loops or multiple audio tracks in GB you'll find a huge difference in getting a second audio-dedicated 7200rpm drive, which are dirt cheap now. Also for primary use with audio, the video card you have is perfectly adequate.

    Most of the "tests" you read about are intended to make you rush out and spend money on the basis that new is always better. It is better for some, but may not be for you. If I'd followed through on every impulse I've had to buy myself a new mac in the last five years I'd have a bunch of them sat around doing nothing or sold for a fraction of what I paid for them - but I'd not have written one more song or recorded it any better.

    If you love music spend your money on music. An good instrument lasts a lifetime.

Share This Page