How long should I wait?

zorg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2006
184
0
How long do you think it will be before the "Official" Revsion B will come out? By official, I mean that Apple will actually say that they have revised it, unlike now when it is just a rumor and Apple claims no revisins were really made. I know many people are waiting for the second revision, so that the problems will be gone. Will it take weeks, or months, for Apple to fix the problems?
 

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
35,753
142
I have no more input than most, but I will say that I bet we will see the intel ibooks before we see rev b macbooks.
 

zorg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2006
184
0
OK, and how long do you think until the intel desktops? The reason is because I need to sell my G5 and buy a MacBook Pro. I obviouslly want to sell as soon as possible, because the longer I wait, the closer the intel desktops will come out, and the price will go down on the G5. But, I would like to buy a Rev B MacBook...So when would be the ideal time to sell/ buy?
 

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
6,995
3
Citizens Bank Park
I don't know if there is an "ideal" time. Being that no one has any solid information, it's all just guessing. For all we know, revB MBPs will be released this week.
 

zorg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2006
184
0
grapes911 said:
I don't know if there is an "ideal" time. Being that no one has any solid information, it's all just guessing. For all we know, revB MBPs will be released this week.
I can only pray that they will in fact be released this week:(. Would it kill Apple to officially say that they are working on the Rev. B models and will be released in x weeks?
 

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
6,995
3
Citizens Bank Park
zorg said:
Would it kill Apple to officially say that they are working on the Rev. B models and will be released in x weeks?
Kill them? No, but it would hurt their sales and inventory. People would stop purchasing current MBPs and then Apple would be stuck with a lot of revision A's.
 

zorg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2006
184
0
grapes911 said:
Kill them? No, but it would hurt their sales and inventory. People would stop purchasing current MBPs and then Apple would be stuck with a lot of revision A's.
Ok, thats true, but could they at least stop making them, so when everyone buys them, thats it. No more Rev As, just new Rev Bs?
 

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
6,995
3
Citizens Bank Park
zorg said:
Ok, thats true, but could they at least stop making them, so when everyone buys them, thats it. No more Rev As, just new Rev Bs?
They probably do stop making revA's when revB's are almost ready for release. Once the revA's are almost gone, they release the revB's.
 

zorg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2006
184
0
Hmmph, I don't like at all how Apple keeps us in the dark.
 

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
6,995
3
Citizens Bank Park
They've been doing it for years. You just have to just get used to it. They aren't going to change their business practices just because we want them to. And trust me, we aren't the only two who want them to.
 

zorg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2006
184
0
Is there a possibilty that when the Rev. Bs come out, there will be a recall of the Rev. A models? Like sending it back and having them repair what ever it is that is wrong with the MBP.
 

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
6,995
3
Citizens Bank Park
Probably not. If Apple felt that the problems with the MBP where recall worthy, they probably would have done it already. IMO, at this point, nothing short of a law suit will make Apple recall the machines. And I don't even know if there is enough evidence that a judge would force a recall.
 

zorg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2006
184
0
grapes911 said:
Probably not. If Apple felt that the problems with the MBP where recall worthy, they probably would have done it already. IMO, at this point, nothing short of a law suit will make Apple recall the machines. And I don't even know if there is enough evidence that a judge would force a recall.
Too bad no one was mortally burned :rolleyes:
 

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
2,284
38
What exactly are you hoping for? The chips won't be faster, the hard drives won't be bigger, etc. They are already taking steps to address the problems.

It might help to learn about Apple's revision process... I don't think you understand.
 

zorg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2006
184
0
dferrara said:
It might help to learn about Apple's revision process... I don't think you understand.
Then would be so kind as to explain it to me?
 

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
2,952
0
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I'm pretty sure the Rev B models will use the Merom processors, so that
may be very well worth the wait.

Late summer or fall at the earliest.

It all depends on how fast Intel makes the new processors available to Apple
and other competitors.
 

zorg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2006
184
0
So the $100 question- buy now, or wait? Lets also remember I have to sell my G5 before the desktops come out.
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,910
41
Andover, MA
No matter when you buy, you will get the laptop and shortly read of a fix or see an new mode or one with revised specs come out.

And... the longer you wait, the less time you'll have with your laptop.

Either way you win, and either way you lose.

But it's more fun to have the MBP and see better ones come out than to wait until the time is right. Because the time is never, really, "right".
 

zorg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2006
184
0
The time is never right. But it would be sad for me to get it and then see a new revision or Merom come out in like a week. Then again, I can't really spend more than 2,300, and hopefully the Merom MacBooks will be more expensive, so I won't think in my mind I could have bought it.
 

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
2,952
0
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I'm holding on to my G5 DP 2.0 as long as it lasts.

It does everything I need it to do right now and my current applications
will work fine with it as long as Universal Binary applications are available.

I might consider something 4 years from now as a serious upgrade.

If Logic 8 Pro and furture hardware go where I expect them to go, my next
system will be completely native.

I would love to see a dual quad with built in Apogee I/O
 

iPie

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
132
0
Milan, Italy
Right Timing

I am grapling with the timing issue myself and have come to the following conclusion (for myself):

While in principle I agree that there is never a 'right' time, there are certainly wrong times:

1. MBP is shipping with some significant defects
2. Apple is not addressing the problems in a transparent manner
3. MBP's price reflects a 'defect free' top of the line laptop

IMO, (and no offense to all of those with a MBP) I think that the risk-benefit ratio makes this bad timing for a MBP purchase.

but who am I?
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
zorg said:
The time is never right. But it would be sad for me to get it and then see a new revision or Merom come out in like a week. Then again, I can't really spend more than 2,300, and hopefully the Merom MacBooks will be more expensive, so I won't think in my mind I could have bought it.
I think the Meroms would cost exactly the same as the current high end Yonah chips, so that probably wouldn't happen.