How long should my battery last?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nosrettap, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Nosrettap macrumors member

I have a 2 year old 13" Aluminum Macbook (not Pro) and the battery in it (the original one) has 597 loadcycles on it and yet it still has 86 percent of its original capacity. I was under the impression that the battery would die after 300 cycles; was I wrong about this? And if so, how long will my battery continue to last?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It is only guaranteed to last 300 cycles, which is intentionally a short period. It sounds like you have taken pretty good care of your battery. It won't simply die, its capacity will slowly degrade until you feel like it doesn't hold a charge as long as you like, and you buy a new one.

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Batteries are funny things, and this statement isn't necessarily true. While it is generally the case, I've seen plenty of batteries literally go from 3 hours of battery life to less than one in about a week to a month, which is faster than gradual.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, Apple states the battery will hold at least 80% of its capacity up to 300 cycles. That's a minimum, not a maximum. All batteries die eventually, but if you take care of it, it will continue to be useful even at 65% or 50% health. Make sure your battery is properly calibrated, so those readings are accurate.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: