How long should my rMBP last with full charge?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yalag, Aug 18, 2012.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

I've had my rMBP for about a month now but I've always wondered why the battery indicator at the top always says I have 3-4 hours right after a full charge when I unplug the power. Is this a faulty unit or is everyone else getting the same?

I looked up the specs on Apple's website and it says " Up to 7 hours wireless web". And I'm not doing anything crazy (gaming etc). All I'm doing is connected to wifi and surfing.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many factors that impact your battery life. *See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

3. NikkiJayne macrumors regular

NikkiJayne

What screen brightness do you have? Mine can go from an estimated 4 hours to 8/9 hours with a dimmer screen.

4. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't adjust it, I let it does it own thing. Am I doing it wrong?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not right or wrong, but screen brightness is a major factor in battery life. Dimming it will help a lot. Read the FAQ for more tips.

6. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

What processor do you have? Engadget lost almost two hours going from the 2.3 to the 2.6

7. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I get about 4-5hrs of light -> medium use on a medium brightness.

8. Spicedham macrumors regular

it all depends on what you're doing. you can run down your computer in 2-3 hours playing a video game or you can last up to 8-9 hours typing a word document. just like flooring the gas or cruising a car on the highway. i wouldn't worry so much about your battery being defective and just use it. the battery life you are getting is normal.

9. tivoboy macrumors 68030

uptime clock

Is there a good way to measure uptime and usage. It's rather subjective at best unless one really tracks it. I'd love to find a little app that actually tracks this stuff.

10. Spicedham macrumors regular

11. tivoboy macrumors 68030

12. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Depends what your doing and which gpu you're using. Anywhere from 1 to 7 hours.

13. Engali macrumors member

What I posted I a different thread:

I had this problem, both before and after ML. Apple geniuses epically failed on helping me with this and other problems.

What helped was resetting PRAM, again both before and after ML. My battery life shot up from 3-4 hours on a full charge to 7-8. Look it up on the interwebz. Do keep in mind, as another poster already mentioned, that the advertised battery life is under very specific conditions. For example, Anandtech made a distinction between light and moderate web browsing at 50% brightness, which amounted to bringing up a new website on average 15 seconds faster IIRC for the latter. This small change, over the course of hours, will have a significant effect on battery life. I roll with like four squares of briughtness usually. Also, expect to get less battery life in Windows 7 under bootcamp because, according to another thread, Windows 7 will always and only use the dedicated Nvidia GPU and doesn't do dynamic switching.

Speaking of which, look up this app called gfxcardstatus or something. It'll put an icon on your menu bar that shows you, by showing an "i" for integrated or a "d" for dedicated, which GPU you're currently using. I've heard Facebook surprisingly will kick in dedicated. You can use this app to force the rMBP to only use either GPU, allow dynamic switching, and even set up preferences for when you're on/off battery for power supply. I highly recommend it since GPU usage and the screen brightness is a fairly large energy sink.

14. wingate.white macrumors newbie

I've managed to drain mine in about an hour (maybe a little longer, I was consumed in the world of Diablo) and I've had it last 5 or 6 on good brightness browsing the web, it truly is about what you're doing. I did notice a huge increase with gfxcardstatus when i force intel for netflix etc.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios