how long should user wait for the repair?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by clevin, May 21, 2007.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

My MB was sent back for 12 days, and its still "on hold-part on order", how long do i have to keep waiting?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i sent an ibook for a logic board replacement several years back. it took two weeks.

3. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

My macbook has been in twice for repair, one for Random Shutdown Syndrome (which it didn't fall into the serial range and therefore they just updated the firmware which had in the time they had it been released) and once again for a faulty Superdrive.

Both times it was away for at least a month. That's 2 months in total I've been without it.

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

My wife's MacBook was fully functional a week after being diagnosed with a dead hard drive (it would have been five days, Saturday to the following Thursday, but we had to wait to the weekend to bring the MacBook back in to the Apple store for the HD replacement.)

I take it you didn't go an Apple Store?

5. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Once, I had to wait 2 weeks just for a pick up on a dead iBook G3! With around 10 broken promises of pick up times too! Make a fuss Clevin. it's just not good enough.

6. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

no, I called applecare directly, last time I went to apple store, the genes didn't do anything special, just normal tricks. Also because Im pretty sure about the problems, screen flickering and earphone removal detection are both normal hardware problems mentioned around.

LOL, I feel so much better, My first repair of RSS only took a week. This is my second repair..

7. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

My guess would be til the "part on order" is delivered to apple. I know that doesnt help, but most likely its not their fault, the part just wasnt readily available.

Had 2 experiences with a repair order, both with wifes macbook. First one was because of a bad battery. The battery was on backorder for like 3 weeks. Luckily she didnt have to send in the whole thing, but she had to stay tethered to the power cord til the new battery came.

Second one was just recently, in fact she just got it back today. Hard drive died a week or so ago. They sent her a box, she got that last monday. Macbook sent out on tuesday, apple received it thursday, they repaired and re-shipped overnight Fedex on friday, and she received macbook today. Not sure why Fedex made no attempt to deliver on saturday for an overnight package, but anyway.

8. ironic23 macrumors 6502

i had my MBP's logic board + LCD + casing changed. got the box tuesday, sent it out tuesday, they repaired it wednesday and i got it back on thursday.

HOWEVER, their repairs were shoddy, with scratches and other problems arising.

QUICK turnaround but a bad job. Sent it in again and got it back within 3 days again. Better job done this time, but still problematic. Going in once more tomrorow.

9. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

i called applecare, the rep told me they need to replace mainboard, which i suspect is related the the earphone problem. and something about apple repair

they will wait 10 days for the needed parts to come in to the facility by themselves, only after 10 days, they will order the part for your machine specifically.

I wonder if I have to be without the machine for a month, out of 12 months in a year, do they extend my warranty for an extra month?

10. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

By UK Law at least the warranty would still be valid for a month after the original 12 months if you were without the laptop for a month during the warranty period. :)

11. NuDarwin macrumors member

NuDarwin

As to your question about how long it takes, it varies based on the repair. If your friend's MBP took 5 days to have a logic board replaced, yours could take 2 weeks and this would be normal. It all depends on if the part is in stock, and if it's not, there's no telling how long it could take.

Someone said something to the effect of Apple Stores being faster. Since Apple Stores and non-apple service shops order parts from the same place, it will make no difference. Still, in my experience, repairs tend to be faster at small, privately owned non-apple service shops rather than the official Apple Stores.