How long should we expect a smart cover to last?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KittyKatta, Mar 18, 2011.

1. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Im getting used to the smart cover but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with materials like this. If these were $10 then I wouldnt care but with the constant bending and unbending of polyurethane or leather then I'm wondering exactly how long it will last before this $40 investment starts falling apart.

Also, in case anyone is wondering then I have an invisible shield back protector and the smartcover hinge works over the plastic but is significantly weaker. I cut the shield to ensure direct metal to magnet contact but its still not nearly as strong a magnet as I'd expected.

2. mgchan macrumors member

It's OK, only needs to last 1 year, I'm sure the iPad 3 will have magnets placed in slightly different locations.

3. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

The iPad 3 cover will be awesome. Even more minimalist but 2x the price!

4. h00ligan macrumors 68030

5. KittyKatta thread starter macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

:p
    Maybe they'll reverse polarity on the iPad 3 so if you put the old cover it would literally shoot it out in the other direction.

6. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

But there will be an adapter you can buy directly from apple. It will cost more than the cover.

7. JamesSmart macrumors newbie

JamesSmart

I'm concerned about it creasing and becoming bent

8. iLuis macrumors member

The 2011 is iPad 2 year, maybe the iPad 2 Smart Cover works on the iPad 3 MAYBE...

Apple going to say... we now make a new cover, is more better and keep your screen clean and the back too. :mad:

People saying the iPad 2 going to have 128GB, USB, SD cards, Retina Display, Thunderbolt, a nice camera up to 5mpx, 3D...

And is just more skinny, more faster, REALLY FASTER!, better graphics.