How long should you run your macbook with a dead logic board

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by maluut, Apr 25, 2011.

1. maluut macrumors newbie

So a few months ago apple told me that my logic board was kaput and needs to be repaired. I was advised that this would be around $280 dollars.

I have been able to run the computer for a few months now, only by power cord. usually fighting with it to get a green light on my power cord.

Went away for the weekend and came back to no light from the power cord whatsoever. computer wont turn on. i understand that this is normal but can i revive it without going back to apple?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

If the logic board has died you are out of luck.

3. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

$280 ?? that is cheap ,apple say that?
    they say my motherboard will cost me 800 dollars to repair by apple.
    (canada)

4. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I think someone is mistaken. If the logic board were dead, then it wouldnt work, power cord or otherwise.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It sounds like it might even be the DC-in board. If you're handy, you could even replace it yourself, depending on your model of MacBook it's around $30 here.

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

+1, this. If you have a dead logic board, that = dead computer.

7. TCUFaulk macrumors newbie

similar situation

My logic board went out today and Apple said it would be $280 plus tax for them to fix it. Mine is the logic board, it won't work.

My question is this: I have had the MacBook for over 4 years, I've upgraded the RAM and Hard Drive. Should I get the computer fixed or just invest in a new one? $300+ to get it fixed and risk something else going out since it is 4 years old or purchase something new?

Thoughts?