Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Apple will support it at least 5 years - so to Sept 2019.

But I think there's more to your question. Don't be coy.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I am wondering here about the 5S.
Ios 11 will be likely be the last supported version with Apple.

2013 was release time. So updates through mid 2018. That's 5 years of support

Just like iPhone 5 (2012-2017)

iPhone 4s (2011-2016)

Math889

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
Ios 11 will be likely be the last supported version with Apple.

2013 was release time. So updates through mid 2018. That's 5 years of support

Just like iPhone 5 (2012-2017)

iPhone 4s (2011-2016)

6 years - mid 2019 . Iphone 5S. They wont problably kill 5s too fast

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Based on current trend, it will get at least iOS12.
iPhone 5 is dropped on iOS11. If the trend remains the same, iOS12 will drop iPhone 5S, and then iOS13 will drop iPhone 6.
However, Apple just put the A8 into the new homePod. So sounds like Apple might support it longer. The issue with the iPhone 6 will be the 1GB RAM, which starts to become a bottleneck.

Math889

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
iPhone 5 is dropped on iOS11. If the trend remains the same, iOS12 will drop iPhone 5S, and then iOS13 will drop iPhone 6.
However, Apple just put the A8 into the new homePod. So sounds like Apple might support it longer. The issue with the iPhone 6 will be the 1GB RAM, which starts to become a bottleneck.

Apple is still selling Ipod touch 6 . which has an A8 processor. So, it will be supported for 3 years. No more than 3 years. Apple already dropped Ipad mini 2 this year. It uses the A7. So, it will problably be supported for 2 years.

IMO, IOS 12 wont drop any iPhone or ipad . But , IOS 13 certainly will

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
It will last for as long as you use it and take care of it without breaking it.
The battery might die but you can get that replaced for cheap.
Just because Apple stops providing firmware updates for an older device it doesn't mean that the device all of a sudden stops working.
True, however with the way Apple updates the iDevices, once it is dropped from support, it means you won't get any further security updates nor updated built-in apps like Safari.
In contrast with Android. You might be stuck on Kitkat, but at the same time you can run the latest version of Chrome.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
In contrast with Android. You might be stuck on Kitkat, but at the same time you can run the latest version of Chrome.

Is that how the Google store works? You will get later updates to Chrome, Firefox, and other apps even when the Android version that you are on has long stopped being 'en vogue'?

If so, this is a very big difference between iOS and Android.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
True, however with the way Apple updates the iDevices, once it is dropped from support, it means you won't get any further security updates nor updated built-in apps like Safari.

The Apple iOS is way more secure than android and also apps like Chrome or others can still get updates from the Appstore.
Apple supports their hardware for multiple years unlike android so if you decide to hold on to the device for 4-5+ years its a choice that you make that you will not get any more ios firmware updates passed a certain time.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Is that how the Google store works? You will get later updates to Chrome, Firefox, and other apps even when the Android version that you are on has long stopped being 'en vogue'?

Yes but it's at the developer's discretion which is not different to iOS. For example Chrome requires iOS 9. Until recently Whatsapp required iOS 6 and just switched to requiring 7.

You can still get stuck with old versions of apps depending on whether your Android device supports it. There's also the OS itself. It balances out in a way.

Android definitely has better backward compatibility in general with apps and OS versions though, and it's necessary because of nature of Android OS support.

The 2012 iPhone can run basically all of the latest apps, a 2012 Android phone can run a lot of them as well. How well they run is another matter.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007

Yes, there is a contrast between iOS and Android. Due to the update lag nature of the Android platform, one of Google's effort to tackle that is to break up the OS into components that they can update some stock apps separately through the Play store (ranging from the messaging app to Chrome and the system web view). Although this doesn't solve the problem completely, at least users of older version of the OS are not totally abandoned on some of the Google stock apps.

This is a stark contrast with Apple which updates stock apps along with the OS update. Although Apple supported their hardware longer, once support is dropped, that's it (eg. Users stuck with older version of iOS cannot get any updates on Safari).

It's the tradeoff between the two platforms.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
You say that but both in my personal experience and as mentioned by joe blow below, the phone has held up really well.

To be fair, people have different expectations. What you and I call just an occasion hiccup or minor lag others might call "unusable" or "slow as molasses". I don't really get it, but some people are very picky.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
i have ios 10 on my iphone 6 and it has brought it down a snails pace.
The 1GB of RAM will be the bottleneck moving forward. It is worse on the 6 plus, since it is already "laggier" than the standard 6, having to resale its UI twice.

My friend has a 6 plus with iOS 10, and sure it is not as snappy as my 6S, but I don't think it as severely slowed down as something like the iPhone 4 and 4S when they received iOS 7/8. I myself also has an old iPhone 5 on iOS 10, and although it is running it fine, I do see hiccups (again 1GB RAM, could be the bottleneck).

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017

First of all, i personally think iPhone 6 Won't get iOS 13 but the iPhone 6S will get it because of 2GB RAM.
In the end iPhone 5S will die in 2018
For instance, iPhone 6 can get iOS 12 but iPhone 5S won't because of 1.3GHZ similar to iPhone 5. Both 5 and 5S are 1.3Ghz... 1.4Ghz is the minimum power to run iOS 12 as it's respectable speed.

iPhone 6S even though IT IS ONLY 1.85Ghz iOS 13 recommended is 2.0Ghz and 2GB RAM. iPhone 6S on iOS 13 will be third iPhone 4S in iOS 9.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.