How long til I need to replace iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tkwolf, Jan 1, 2015.

1. tkwolf macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

This is basically my iMac right now, I am just wondering since this is my first iMac (bought in 2013), I'm wondering about the longevity of this product in terms of speed, etc until it becomes too old

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Only when it stops doing what you want it too. If you're happy with it, then there's no reason to replace it

3. tkwolf thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm referring about like the viability. Like your prediction until it all feels dated.

4. jqworle macrumors newbie

Had my late 2009 27 for 5 years , still running well with no issues (running Yosemite) but have just pulled the trigger on a retina Mac for no other reason than I fancied a change and a neighbour made an offer for it should I ever upgrade to a newer one.

5. tkwolf thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey cheers on your new iMac. So they do well with age, I'm guessing? Sweet.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Feelings are personal, so each person will have different ideas about what it means for your computer to "feel" dated.
    Do you have an SSD, or a Fusion drive in your iMac?
    If only a spinning hard drive, then an SSD can be a possible upgrade that will definitely make your iMac "feel" brand new. It's not a simple upgrade, but the result makes it worth doing.

Even without that SSD, you can keep your iMac up-to-date with the current OS X version. A 2007 iMac can still do that, and has the possibility of running any current apps. The question then would be if you will remain pleased with how that 2007 hardware works. If it is your only system, then as long as it does what you want, then you're good!
    "Upgrade troubles" will start if you have an old system like that, and can compare to another newer iMac running the same OS X version and your other software. Then, your "feelings" will probably take you down the path of frequent upgrades/replacement. Then, it's what you choose to do.

7. questioner76 macrumors member

I have a mid-2010 27" (3.2 gh i3) that's running strong. I installed an SSD and fusion on it last year.

I also have a 2009 (Core2Duo) and 2010 (3.2 gh i3) 21.5" that I bought on Craigslist last year that are running strong. I put an SSD in the 2009 but the 2010 is running on the original HDD. No issues with any of them. I run iphoto and iMovie on the 27" and it handles them with aplomb. I don't see replacing it anytime soon.

8. minimalism macrumors member

Based on my own experience, I give it three to four years window. The general rule is when the hardware+software isn't competitive enough to perform the tasks you expect from it, that's when you upgrade to a new one.

9. iMi macrumors 6502a

iMi

The answer greatly depends on how you use the computer. If you use it for light tasks such as word processing and email, for example, then you can keep the Mac for many years and be perfectly satisfied. If you use it for more demanding tasks, like playing the latest games or video editing, then its usefulness may become limited sooner and you may decide to replace it.

Only you can decide when the time is right to upgrade or replace the machine.

10. midorix macrumors member

Still using mid 2007 2.8ghz 24" iMac and just recently upgraded with SSD. No issue from application or speed stand point. I did have to replace the LCD (one of the back light went out) and baked the graphics card but I managed to do both of the repairs on my own.

As others have noted, along as it's running and you're not using for some heavy application requirements, I think you can keep running your iMac for very long time.

11. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

My parents are still using a 2008 iMac no intention of replacing yet and that is on the original HDD.

I am still using early mini 2009 and late mbpr 2008, though upgraded with 8Gb and SSD, and not looking to replace just yet.

For some people once the new model is out then what they have feels dated and slow, it really is down to individual perception,

If YOU find that it is no longer quick enough/unable to perform the tasks that need it too, then it is time to replace

12. wheats09 macrumors newbie

I'm still running 10.4 on my early 2007 machine. The screen is half gone. I think it's time for an upgrade

13. camardelle macrumors 6502

How do I determine what year I got my iMac? I know it's somewhere in "about this mac" but where?

14. Meister Suspended

Meister

About this mac is not a complicated menue.
    You can also just google your model specs.

15. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

You can't. You can find out what model you have though, in that dialog, and quite hard to miss.

It really depends on what you use it for. If it has an SSD, and you are only using it for watching movies, going online, emails, writing stuff, etc., then it will last until something physically breaks. Or your neighbor gets a newer model and you are jealous.

16. camardelle macrumors 6502

I guess that's what I meant. I'm in the "about" box now but I can't tell what model it is like I used to be able to do on my MBP where it would give me "early 2011" or something to that effect. I'll continue looking. Thanks for the reply.

17. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

When the next version comes out?

The lack of SSD seems to be your bottleneck

18. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

I have two 2008 iMacs in my house. Both perfectly suited for their tasks.

1) minecraft server, and basic tasks for my 8-year old son. Runs 10.9.5 perfectly fine.
    2) 10.6.8 iMac used to support my prior job's ancient development environment. I keep the iMac on the VERY rare occasion they reach out for help(I'm a nice guy that way). Used for browsing, word, excel, etc...

I've upgraded RAM and HD in both machines. I don't intend to take either above 10.9

6 years old and still Rollin' along. They continue to meet my needs, and I don't intend to swap them out anytime soon.

19. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I guess we are all assuming you are running Yosemite, where it is displayed directly. What OS are you running?

20. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

21. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

Maybe when an iPad/tablet runs circles around it.

22. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I just picked up an original Mac Pro and love it, computers can last a long time and don't need to be the newest ones to be useful. Replace the iMac when you feel like it doesn't suit your needs.

23. Meister Suspended

Meister

It will last 4years and 22days.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think you can, there's too many variables including how you use the computer. For instance, if you are planning on computing the mass of the universe, well then the iMac may not last too long as the lack of performance will be evident. On the other hand, if you're using it for Facebook, emails and office apps, that puppy can last 4, 6 years or even longer.

Its really on how you use it, and how you feel its going to fit your needs.