How long 'til the plastic MacBook is gone?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iStrat, Oct 14, 2008.

1. iStrat macrumors member

My theory is that the current low end MacBook (white plastic) will only be around for a short while. They maybe had extra parts or stock and needed to get rid of it. If that's true, I think the new 2.0GHz aluminium MacBook will become the base model once the old plastic one is gone and they'll drop the price to $1,099. Then they will have 3 aluminium MacBooks and no plastic ones. I'm not sure if the current 2.4GHz model will become the middle model or the top model. If this is what's going to happen, I wonder how long it will take. It may be fairly soon if they're just trying to get rid of some excess parts/stock, possibly even before Christmas. Do you think this is what will happen? Is it worth waiting?

2. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

I'd agree. I think they're keeping it around to sell their remaining inventory. It just doesn't really fit in with the rest of line now. When they discontinue it, I would bet (like you suggested) the base Macbook would become $1099, like before.

3. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

i spoke to a few apple store mangers and employees

seems like the usual drill for new products is that they send the old stuff back when the new stuff comes in.

i heard they probably get used for parts.

Since the old macbooks arent on the online store anymore it looks like this may be the case.

4. timestoby macrumors 6502

i thought on the keynote i watcht that steve said they will be selling the plastic ones for a long time to come.could be wrong. *watches keynote again* lol

just watcht it and went to the bit where he says these are 1099$ and we are going to keep on sellin these to alot of people,but make the entry price to 999$ and keep on selling them a long time :D

5. fobfob macrumors 6502

Yup my guess is they have been forced to keep this model as a reaction to the economic conditions that have taken a sudden turn for the worse just as the new model was being prepared for launch. After "summoning" (love that word) the media to their launch the last thing they want to read the next day is "RECESSION/Apple raises prices/MBs only for elites"

I think "a long time" will depend on the market (duh), but more usefully, the economic conditions. I'm sure Apple would love to delete this model for good. After all the effort ($$) put into the new MB(P)s.

They just can't take that much of a gamble on their "best selling Mac" (paraphrased). Not until things pan out in the financial world.

6. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

when they pull their head in and drop the AU price of the new MBs.

7. JoolsG4 macrumors newbie

Clearing old stock?

I find it strange that Apple have moved to this new aluminium super-stong and light eco-friendly design and manufacturing process for the new MacBooks, yet are still continuing to sell (and manufacture?) the 'old' White MacBook as the entry-level model (despite it having a faster processor than the new mid-priced MacBook).

I'm also wondering whether this is a way to clear old stock/components before releasing a really new entry-level MacBook at the same price point as the existing White MacBook but with all the same features as the new aluminium MacBooks.

Same applies to the top-end 17" MacBook Pro.

Instead of having just one manufacturing process for a complete range of MacBooks, they now have three. One for the old-style plastic model, one for the new-style aluminium models, and one for the old-style top-end MacBook Pro.

It doesn't seem to make much economic or ecologicial sense to maintain three different manufacturing processes.

Does anyone think that in the not too distant future we'll see both the entry level White MacBook and the top-end old-style MacBook Pro replaced by models along the lines of the new aluminium models?

8. i0Nic macrumors 65816

I think they'll keep it for a while actually, until it becomes economically viable for them to have a $999 aluminium macbook.

9. af395 macrumors newbie

So do we wait for a new low end MB?

Do people think that the aluminum MB will have a price reduction this year? When is the next scheduled Apple event where such a thing might occur? (I know that seems like a stupid question and apple dont announce things before hand etc)

10. af395 macrumors newbie

how long?

so how long do you think that is? 3,6,9,12 months?