How long till a 16GB replaces the 8GB?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Apollo21, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Apollo21 macrumors member

Apollo21

It seems inevitable that they'll replace the 8GB "3rd-gen" once they run out of 2nd-gens to update via software to 3rd-gen :)mad:). Any guesses as to how quickly that could happen?

I waited for the update to buy, but now I figure I can either get a new 8GB 2g for ~$150, or wait and hope for a 16GB 3g for ~$200.

2. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

Apple have sneakily upgraded the capacity of some models a few times now, so I'd be waiting until February, but don't expect a speed bump for it until next September.

3. DavidG328 macrumors regular

8 gigs for an iTouch is wayyyy to small, and I filled up my 16 after a few months. Wait if you can.

4. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

well, i still have some 300MB left on my ipod touch 8GB!

who knows??? maybe 2010;);):D:D:D

5. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The 16gb Touch will replace the 8gb Touches at $199 when they run out of 8gb Touches. My guess would say by black Friday. Sooner if 16gb Zune HD sales exceed 8gb iPod Touch sales between now and then.

6. Rcasa macrumors newbie

Rcasa

honestly if anyone ever considers the 8 gb they should just know to skip out on that and go for the 32. an extra 100 gets you 24 more gb and better internals. where can you go wrong?

7. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Your logic is sound, unless Apple brings out new 32gb and 64gb Touches with camera in October or November. Expect to see many royally pissed Touch 2.5g owners.

8. broken-chaos macrumors regular

broken-chaos

Which, among other reasons, is a solid suggestion that they will not do that.

9. MegaDell macrumors member

Exactly. Why would they spend all this money developing, assembling, and selling these new 32/64 only to make them obsolete months later and spend even more money?

People, you need to get over it. This is what we have. This is it. There is not going to be anything new in a month, in two months, in three months. Not in January or Feb or anytime immediately after the holiday shopping season.

Think of it from a business standpoint. They make unlock some of the features locked into the 32/64 GB, but they aren't going to put out any new Ipods with touches until next September at the earliest.

10. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

That's what I'm thinking at this point. Apple is generating inventory of the new 32/64 GB models, and if they make new models within 6 months, they would be wasting money producing, manufacturing and shipping their products. It doesn't make sense for Apple to replace a model that's not even 1-3 months old.

11. MegaDell macrumors member

Exactly. People are just so desperate in their hopes that apple is gonna say this was just a very, very, very late aprils fools joke, but no. It's like, their dreams have died, they are going through the 5 stages, but they are stuck on the Denial stage.

12. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

my opinion, Feb or march, 16gb with camera will replace 8gb, again, just my opinion.

13. MegaDell macrumors member

Is that opinion based on anything? I mean, is there any logical reason for apple to do that? Other than to piss people off, release a product AFTER the most productive time in terms of retail sales, and to waste millions by putting out a new product so soon before they were able to turn a profit on what was just released a mere 3 days ago?