How long till Apple caves and gives me a new machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JesterJJZ, Nov 12, 2007.

1. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Ok...so I've had some issues with my Dual 2.5ghz G5 this past year. I had my logic board, processors and power supply replaced. A few weeks back I started having problems again. I got back to my Apple store pretty much borderline in my Applecare expiring, but they agreed to take it in for this repair. So they said they will order just about everything possible for it and replace it, said it would only be a couple days. So I left my machine with them and went home. A week goes by and when I keep calling them they say they are still waiting on parts. I ask them if I can take my machine back until everything gets there. Even one day with my machine is a benefit to me. I have a Dual G4 I've been working on in the mean time but it's like pulling teeth. I've had my machine back home for almost two weeks now. It still works but I can't do anything too intensive. Anything above photoshop and light DV editing in Final Cut and my G5 has a coronary. High Def and multitrack audio mixing is a no go, applications randomly quit and I get kernal panics. If they can't find the parts to fix my machine, when can they justify just giving me a new one? I'm out of Apple Care by now, but I'm already in the system for this repair. I'll take the lowest end Intel MacPro at this point. It'll probably be faster than what I have now.

2. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

Im not sure were you live, but in California you would still have some warranty. If i remember correctly, more days are added to your warranty the days you dont have your computer because it has been out on repair and not in your hands. Also here they add 90 days to your warranty or if you have AppleCare until that ends, or whatever is longer. Since AppleCare is gone for you, I think you still have 90 days left on the warranty. I say you give Apple a call and rant your butt out, you shouldn't have to deal with this... and I think there are also some lemon laws that say the 3rd time the computer is fixed for something, they have to give you a new one...
    I could be wrong, but I think im right

3. jbstew32 macrumors regular

Actually Apple told me on the phone that if you send your product in for repairs near the end of your Applecare period, they automatically extend your warranty for either 2 or 3 months (I can't remember which). If this was recently, you might still be covered. If you told them about these same problems while you were covered, then there definitely shouldn't be a problem.

Did you try calling Apple directly? I bet if you call and explain your situation to them and press them (in a very nice/polite way of course), they will resolve your problem more sooner than later.

4. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I know I'm still covered, the invoice on this repair lists all the parts and $0.00 for everything. I called Applecare and they actually said that THEY couldn't do anything for me since my Applecare officially expired. Apple told me to go to the Applestore where I had my repairs done. They said that the stores have the power to grant exceptions such as in my case since I had major repairs only a few months prior. So I guess I AM being taken care of since I'm not paying for anything. But it sure as heck is taking forever. I'm happy they are still gonna help me out but when do I have the right to say this is ridiculous and ask for a new machine? I don't want to be an a-whole...

5. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

EPIC WIN!!! :D

On a whim I wrote an email to Steve Jobs and I just got a call from Apple that they are gonna give me a new MacPro! I'm getting the Dual Core 2.66 which is fine with me since I'm not paying for it. Getting 2 gigs of memory (4x512) and a 500 gig boot drive.