How long till DSLR cameras shoot 2k or even 4k video?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by waloshin, Mar 30, 2012.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

We all know how close 2k is to 1080p so I am sure it wont be long for 2k ,but 4k is hard to say.

What do you think?

2. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Probably will take the same amount of time that it takes for mainstream display makers to begin selling affordable 4k monitors and tv sets..:p

3. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Yeah that is what I was thinking.

4. b01189 macrumors member

It's not that DSLRs can't recored that resolution but its the data rate of 30fps or 60ifps of a frame of that size. Which is why the 2& 4k red and phantom cameras basically have a server of SATA drives or bank of SSDs attached to them. As soon as they have a form of media that is 1. large enough to handle any amount of video at the compact size for a DSLR 2. to be able to transfer at 300+mbps

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The amount of storage space needed for the common user is huge, plus the price of the red camera is over 40k.

6. b01189 macrumors member

Agreed for the average user 2k and 4k video is out of reach for the DSLR videographer market. Hell just the standard broadcast cameras DSLRs compete with are around 5-10k in the lower end market for 1080i broadcast quality video.

7. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Don't know where you are buying your cameras from but I can pick up a Scarlet for a 1/4 of the price your price!

On topic, I think that I would prefer that the DSLRs would have a true 1080p resolution instead of the 800 lines ish they are resolving at the moment.

8. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I would just be happy with a 4k monitor, so we could go retina with our desktops.. and realistically - dslr cameras as we know them will probably be obsolete before this feature is added some day to a mirrorless variety of camera which relies on retina optics for viewfinder.

Which will be pretty cool, I guess.. as long as the evf is realtime and does not black out for shutter release...:rolleyes:

9. elmo151 Guest

depends on the camera and the size of the memory card