Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jollygoodamy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Hypothetically speaking, if I was to buy a new Mac about 5 weeks after Lion came out, would it come already installed on it or still have Snow Leopard?
How long do you think it will be until Lion comes on all new macs?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Depends on the Mac - though since Lion doesn't come on a DVD Apple may elect to upgrade all their retail Macs with it during the overnight session at each Apple Store. Macs released post-Lion will obviously come with it pre-installed.

spoccka

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Surely at the very point lion is released. I was hoping this would be the case... Doesn't that make the most sense? What happened with previous updates?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Surely at the very point lion is released. I was hoping this would be the case... Doesn't that make the most sense? What happened with previous updates?

They would slip in upgrade disks initially, and then a week or two after that the new version would be preinstalled.

ndriver182

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
What about for those who just recently bought computers with Snow Leopard installed? I remember previously when I bought a computer that had Leopard installed initially they sent out a free copy of Snow Leopard as long as your computer was purchased within 30 days of the new OS release. I just bought a new MBP about 10 days ago so I'm curious if I'll be eligible for some sort of free Lion update via the App Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.