How long till Nehalem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arn0ld, Nov 17, 2008.

1. arn0ld macrumors newbie

I have heard guesses that Nehalem Macbooks are coming by WWDC. A Macworld release would be impossible... right?

2. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

3. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

Nehalem mobile variant is scheduled for ~Q3 2009. So I guess they'll be here late 2009 or at Macworld 2010.

4. CalumC macrumors regular

If the chipset is Q3 '09, I personally can't see an apple notebook with it until Q2 '10, summer perhaps? Otherwise they'd be getting the chip and going through the notebook design and build chain in half a year, just seems a little short to me.

5. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Even then its going to take time for software to be optimized to take advantage of it. I'm excited for that new architecture but am hoping to hold off for awhile after its released.

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

My guess would be that Nehalem Macbook Pros will come out in the Fall of 2009 or Macworld 2010... most likely the latter.

7. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

That is somewhat of a nebulous question.

2nd Quarter 2009 is the projected release of notebook chips by Intel. It could get moved up, but I doubt Apple will be the first adopter of this tech.

[​IMG]

8. PostTribber macrumors member

I dunno...

nothing was done to the 17 inch pro, makes one wonder why? only the 15 inch came out with the update. since the i7 seems to be a quad core, why not a quad core 17 inch? Dell has a quad laptop. it's time for Apple to step up. (there, that otta get 'em drooling). ;)

9. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Aren't those chips supposed to be rather hot? I thought I heard that the TDP would increase by 10W over the Penryn chips. Anyone able to confirm/refute?

That could cause the laptops to get hot and fan noisy again. Rev A Nehalem may not be your best bet.

10. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I think that's what I heard. I was expecting it to be a year away. Kind of like how the unibodies came out in later 08. I was hoping these would come out late 09. There is still hope.

11. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

So annoying. I'm personally completely underwhelmed with the current MBP.... really wish they'd get it out =p

12. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I know how you feel. I was expecting much more from the MacBook KeyNote. I guess that's what I deserve.

At least my MBP Classic 2.5GhZ is still better then the base MBP.

13. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

Nehalem next tuesday! You heard it first here folks.

14. jamestemroot macrumors member

If intel works with apple on this, it might be released around the same time or a month or two apart.

Q4 09 / Q1 10 sounds like your best bet.

15. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

That's not the way it works. Intel sends engineering samples to OEMs several months ahead of the official release date. They are engineering samples so the final design may change as erratas are taken care of and the manufacturing process is refined. I would be willing to bet that Apple has engineering samples of Calpella (notebook equivalent to Nehalem) right now. Barring limited supplies of Calpella Apple has the same opportunity to release products with the newest CPUs as other manufacturers.

16. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Well, I hate to resurrect a dead thread here, but at least I searched instead of making a new post :D. Has anyone heard new updates? Are nehalems still on schedule for Q3 09? Would be great to see them in time for the next holiday season...

17. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

LOL... the i7 nehalems are only available for the Mac Pros at the moment... best luck next year.

18. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Mobile Nehalem? Never going to happen

Next Apple mobile processor upgrade: Arrandale, Q3 2010

:):apple:

19. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

This i know - i was speaking of the nehalem mobile roadmap, which last i checked was at q3 09. I don't need any info about the currently available desktop parts.

20. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

The first mobile Nehalems will be released in Q3/Q4 2009. There are already laptops which come with Core i7, but these beasts use a desktop processor. Apple will not do that, it will wait until the mobile version is out.

The Macbooks will probably get an update in Q2-Q3 2009, before the release of the mobile Nehalem. The next Macbooks will probably be equipped with Nehalem, but in the first half of 2010 only. Don't expect Nehalem Macbooks before that, unless Intel changes its release schedule.

21. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

But isn't Apple usually relatively (to its competitors) late to adopt a new chip anyways? Like didn't it release the Penryn MBPs some 1/2 months after its competitors, etc?:confused:

22. J DILLA macrumors member

so would it be worth it to buy the updated mbp in mid 2009 or just wait until 2010 for the nehalem?

23. andylo macrumors newbie

Apple was the first to get the Nehalem server processors, so the mobile versions should be available for macbooks by end of 2009.

24. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I did some intarweb searching - here's a pretty recent rundown of their roadmap. Here's the main line:
    So looks like MacWorld 2010 might be an accurate prediction.... oh well either way, they're far off. Curious to see how they milk the mobile Core 2 line until then. Looks like I'm sticking w/ my non-unibody Penryrn for about another year. Grumble...

25. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Errm... there is no MacWorld 2010 keynote. Remember, now MacWorld is just a tradeshow, with no Apple/